What's new
What's new

Boeing EE

Sequim Tool

Cast Iron
I just got this Boeing EE I hope to rebuild It was listed on CL paid $3000 + $800 to move it to Sequim, WA.
It's a 10 by 20 S/N 48890 5/1967 and rebuilt by Boeing in 73

Some parts are missing the follow roller on the drive belts and the speed pots, the ways need grinding Lindmark in Seattle will do it for $1000.

I'm new to this forum so I hope you all will bear with me as I get up to speed, Will keep you up to date with photos as I do the rebuild.

I got a 3 HP motor from the guy too It needs a home. Look clean I think it just had a clean dip and bake the comm is not under cut. If you need a motor make offer.EE motor 161.jpgEE lathe.jpg

I'm new to this forum

Congratulations on getting it. You have a lot of reading ahead of you. I don't think that I am wrong in saying that just about everything you can possibly ask has already been answered (in many cases multiple times). Go to the search arena and type in Monarch EE. That is a beginning. By the time you emerge, you will know more about these lathes than you need.

Lee (the saw guy)

Thanks I will be using all the help I can get
I worked for Boeing for 2 years in 72 and 73 at A3510 in plant 2 on 3rd shift a shop called the gear line. the shop had 3 EE, the only work I did on the EE was to put a chamfer on 28,000 flap drive couplings.
One of the hard parts is do I keep it as is with the tube drive or upgrade it the Beel stuff is $1500 I keep the old 5 HP dc motor and it runs off my single phase shop power or get a black max 5 hp and a 7 1/2 hp Hitachi VFD and a 3 phase converter. that's more than $1500. Just keeping the old tube drive stuff is going to cost $600 for a phase converter and them the coolant pump
And will the Beel stuff even work?

One of the hard parts is do I keep it as is with the tube drive or upgrade it the Beel stuff is $1500 I keep the old 5 HP dc motor and it runs off my single phase shop power or get a black max 5 hp and a 7 1/2 hp Hitachi VFD and a 3 phase converter. that's more than $1500. Just keeping the old tube drive stuff is going to cost $600 for a phase converter and them the coolant pump
And will the Beel stuff even work?

You can run everything except the coolant pump on single phase. The coolant pump can be changed to use either a small VFD or something like a little static phase converter. I'd disconnect the pump and just run it on single phase for a while.

IF the coolant pump is the usual Brown & Sharp Model 200, it is a C-face pump which may be mounted on any 56C frame motor.

In such a case, simply remove the 1/3 HP three-phase 56C motor and replace it with a single-phase 56C motor.

Of course, the pump's compartment has precious little headroom, so the capacitor "hump" will have to be relocated.

But, that is really a pretty simple job.

Brown & Sharp pumps are now made by BSM Pump, as a successor to B&S.

It's a 1/4 HP Gusher and yes I can just get a new single phase motor and stub the shaft to fit the impeller. Gusher made the same pump in single phase too, one was just on e-bay he wanted $350. good luck to him with that price.
It's the speed pots I need to find, all I have is the shaft with the small bevel gear on it.

I'll be the Heretic here, which is nothing unusual. Drop a Little Giant pump in the coolant sump, do a little electrical work to get 120 V to the pump, and you should have under 200.00 in the coolant system. It's as easy as that.
Harry

"It's the speed pots I need to find, all I have is the shaft with the small bevel gear on it."

The dual Clarostat 5W wire-wound speed pot is a special.

I have seen those on eBay for about $50.

But, they are rare.

EE belt.jpg

some guy is parting out his EE on E-Bay I hope he will have the parts I need. This photo show the missing follower or some thing

Last edited:
I seem to remember someone buying the dual clarostat ot from monarch for something in the area of $100. It did not strike me as a bad price.
I may have a pulley or two in the parts I have. I'm sure I dont have the arm for the pulley on the right side that you show (missing) as I eventually found one on ebay as my machine was missing that part as well. I think there may be a sketch if you search, I can do one for you if needed.

Paul

gear.jpg

one listed on E-Bay today he want's $120 it has spur gears on it. the gear on shaft on mine is a bevel gear?
This photo is the of my machine

And does anyone want my 3 HP motor or is it just scrap.

The bevel gear you show is the same think that is in my modular drive. Unfortunately it looks like you are missing the pot, the mating gear, the casting it attaches to and the cover. I dont think I have any spares of those parts but I will take a look in the next few days. Monarch may have "take off's" from a machine they convert, I've heard they price some of the take off parts reasonable, Can also supply rough sketches if needed.

On the motor - you are likely to find a home for it eventually maybe $100 if you have a place to store it - and someone local needs it (they are heavy as you no doubt know). The back gear is more in demand, Last one that I noticed on ebay went for about $300, there is one on there now with a current bid of about $10 that closes today so we'll see if there are many people looking. In all the parts I picked up I now have 2 complete motor back gear assemblies, another nice condition back gear and a 4th back gear that appears to be all there but will need some work from someone. I've got space so I can be patient and plan to offer them for what I think should be reasonable $

Paul

No luck pots are open $101 down the tube on junk parts off E-Bay But it's not Norm's fault he never tested them. It's my fault for not having him test them.

On the positive side you got the box and the gears (seems like the seller made money on the shipping as those parts easily fit in a flat rate box).
Try Monarch for the dual pot, I think someone bought one from Monarch in the last couple years for around $100 ($130 sticks in my head). Searching may find it.

I may have a dual pot in the parts I got but if it works I'm probably going to want to keep it as my own spare.
Paul

Back