What's new
What's new

CJ3 Tube loose top terminal Epoxy for bedding?

samo

Cast Iron
A known good CJ3 tube for a 10EE has a loose top terminal. Had it in storage for years and drug it out to
use it and noticed the top bedding or epoxy has crumbled away and the lead came unsoldered.
Curious if someone knows what to bed the top terminal cap with that can take the heat from a modular drive.
This is my last known good tube and would like to save it. Sam

Attachments

• IMG_1736.jpg
    IMG_1736.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 109
A known good CJ3 tube for a 10EE has a loose top terminal. Had it in storage for years and drug it out to
use it and noticed the top bedding or epoxy has crumbled away and the lead came unsoldered.
Curious if someone knows what to bed the top terminal cap with that can take the heat from a modular drive.

The parts move. Most epoxy will melt or soften and lose grip.
Superglue is reputed to cause cracking of the glass tube envelope.

High-temp Red RTV has been suggested. Also the adhesive appliance repair shops carry for clothers-dryer gasket attachment.

RCA's pre-WWII tube 'base' adhesive formula is in here:

http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10846.0

Any auto-supply may have small qty's of exhaust system sealant similar to:

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_adhesive.htm?gclid=CL36leu4u9ICFQhLDQodFCMJog

Thank you, the exhaust sealant or high temp RTV sound the most practical. The RTV is rated for 650 Deg. F and
the Exhaust sealant is rated 2000 deg. F (from permatex website)

Sam

Also c3j tubes are "relatively" inexpensive so probably not a crisis if you need to get a new one.

Maybe furnace cement.

CarlBoyd

Back