What's new
What's new

Cross slide chip shield. How does it work?

guythatbrews

Titanium
I just got this 10ee a bit ago and have been using it. I can see why so many love a 10EE. Just the right size for what i need and a professional machine. Much more than most of the 12" lathes from which to choose. At age 63 many details need attention. But for now can someone explain me please how the EE1993 cross slide chip shield is supposed to work? Looks like it is supposed to be limited by the pin EE3721 in the carriage somehow. The pin is all rounded off and the slot in the back of the chip shield is all boogered up. I just put the thing back together and shoulda taken a picture while apart. The slot in the shield stops before each end but runs almost the full length of the shield. When the cross slide is advanced all the way x minus the shield stops with about 1.5" to go and then it just hangs out. When x is retracted you can push it back in. How is it really supposed to work? And how does that carriage pin come out? Thanks!

A screw, huh? Mine is not a screw anymore, more of a lump. I'll have to file a notch in it and see if I can get it out. I went ahead and took it apart to kroil it so here's a pic.
cross slide.jpg

Thanks for the info guys! I finally decided the only way the dust shield moves away from the operator is by friction. Duh! Scott at Monarch confirmed this. He also said they now use an allen socket set screw with the socket down. The dust shield is in stock but pricey. Totally understand why shield is pricey. I think i will make one. The screw is not in stock. I got my screw out by making a CCW flat drill and it didn't take much for the thing to unscrew. And it is an allen screw. The gap into which the shield fits is .114". The shield I have is .100 thick and I think it was fabricated years ago because of the nasty gouges at each end of the slot. Can't see how that would happen except by milling. So for about $30 i am getting 3/32 ground flat stock and .015 spring steel shim from Mcmaster Carr. Will mill the slot through and super glue the shim to the top for a .109 thickness. I think I will make a slotted screw with a head just under 3/32 high and be sure and slot it at right angle to the dust shield. I like the idea of the slot end bearing on a cylinder instead of a thread, even though it seems in 1955 they used a set screw.

New Cross Slide Chip Shield

I made the new dust shield. Works well and didn't cost too much.

Before glueing the spring steel top on.
cs1.jpg

Completed shield. Pretty blue but maybe not for long!
cs2.jpg

Back