What's new
What's new

cross slide cover stud removal 10ee

lectrician1

Hot Rolled
there are two spring loaded studs on the back on my cross slide to provide easy removal of the cross slide way cover.
I am looking to install a DRO and i need to attach the scale to that way cover. i would like to remove the spring loaded studs and tap the existing hole for a stronger mechanical bond.

Question: How do i remove those spring loaded studs?
There was a set screw in the side of the crosslide which i removed but i can't figure how to get the studs outIMG_2064.jpg

thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 136
Check the hole for another set screw.
Sometimes they put in a second one to act as a jam screw, or just to mess with your head. :)

Hal

there are two spring loaded studs on the back on my cross slide to provide easy removal of the cross slide way cover.
I am looking to install a DRO and i need to attach the scale to that way cover. i would like to remove the spring loaded studs and tap the existing hole for a stronger mechanical bond.

Question: How do i remove those spring loaded studs? ...
Mine had a single dog-point setscrew, 1/4" in length, that secured the sleeve of the stud to the casting. Try shooting a penetrating oil into the setscrew hole.

Cal

Mine had a single dog-point setscrew, 1/4" in length, that secured the sleeve of the stud to the casting. Try shooting a penetrating oil into the setscrew hole.

Cal

Same type setscrew on mine
i removed the setscrew and tried pulling that sleeve out with a cats paw. it would not budge
then i tried drilling in the set screw hole. I thought maybe the screw caused a burr that would not allow the sleeve to slide out
i grabbed the spring loaded stud with a wonderbar. again no joy.
That thing is in there.

Is that type of cover securing system the standard for all years of a EE? Mine didn't have that and this is news to me. The cover is just held by regular bolts, and there are no setscrews, slotted holes, or anything to suggest otherwise. I made long knurled specials so I can remove the cover without tools. Learn something new everyday.

Is that type of cover securing system the standard for all years of a EE? Mine didn't have that and this is news to me. The cover is just held by regular bolts, and there are no setscrews, slotted holes, or anything to suggest otherwise. I made long knurled specials so I can remove the cover without tools. Learn something new everyday.

I figured that it was just something from the round dial machines that disappeared on later machines. Other features disappeared on later machines - the apron handwheel dog clutch (allowing the handwheel to be disengaged), the feed rod clutch, etc.

Is that type of cover securing system the standard for all years of a EE?

Both my '42 (Brass) Round-Dial and my '44 (White metal) Round-Dial have it, as pictured.

CAVEAT: 10EE had at least three different slides. Short/standard, long(er), and another longer-yet with a raised dovetail for rear-mount tooling, so.... more than a few possibilities must exist.

Back