What's new
What's new

D1-3 fitting to a new chuck to my 10EE

berol

Aluminum
Thinking of ordering a new independent 4 jaw, 6" chuck with the D1-3 backing plate
& have several questions. (1) Might there be a better choice than a Buck, steel (not cast iron)rated to 3200 RPM for a top quality chuck. Did all 10EE take a D1-3 & where would I find diagram of the configuration/pattern of that adapter plate (3)What steps should I take to adapt the D1-3 to the chuck & then both true to the spindle?

Thinking of ordering a new independent 4 jaw, 6" chuck with the D1-3 backing plate
& have several questions. (1) Might there be a better choice than a Buck, steel (not cast iron)rated to 3200 RPM for a top quality chuck. Did all 10EE take a D1-3 & where would I find diagram of the configuration/pattern of that adapter plate (3)What steps should I take to adapt the D1-3 to the chuck & then both true to the spindle?

Just get a chuck with the D1-3" integral if available

& have several questions. (1) Might there be a better choice than a Buck, steel (not cast iron)rated to 3200 RPM for a top quality chuck.

I like the Bison chucks, at least for the 3 jaw versions. I have a 6 1/4 Buck 4 jaw that doesn't see as much use as the (older) 8"

Did all 10EE take a D1-3 & where would I find diagram of the configuration/pattern of that adapter plate

I've never heard of a 10EE with any spindle other than D1-3

(3)What steps should I take to adapt the D1-3 to the chuck & then both true to the spindle?

I've been known to blue the spindle and run up the backplate/chuck on it to see how it prints. If it's OK (and it usually is from any reputable make) I mount the backplate and cut a trueing pass on the face and cut the register, pull it and mark for the bolt pattern to be drilled/tapped on the mill. At that point it's usually good to go.

"Anecdotal evidence" is that Buck still makes large chucks - say 12"-plus, 10" only maybe, also rebuilds large chucks, their own or others, buuuuut.

Is reselling some other maker's chucks down in the smaller ranges for lack of enough volume for manual chucks to make it worthwhile.

CNC spindles dominate the Earth. Most use POWERED workolding, rather than manual.

I've no idea if the chuck you seek is actually made by Buck, if house-branded, who does make it, nor how good it is, or is not.

Back