What's new
What's new

Dipstick by tailstock oiler

John S01

Aluminum
I hope this isn't the dumb question of the day, but there is a thing that looks like a dipstick next to the oil hole for the tailstock ways.
It is in a blind hole, so it isn't doing anything. What is it? Some kind of tool? A sword for fighting mice?

John

I hope this isn't the dumb question of the day, but there is a thing that looks like a dipstick next to the oil hole for the tailstock ways.
It is in a blind hole, so it isn't doing anything. What is it? Some kind of tool? A sword for fighting mice?

John

Dauber & its reservoir have been covered by now, but... IF you use a dead-centre, then I'd recommend "Cimcool center Saver" AKA pink slime rather than white lead, DIY or otherwise.

http://www.cimcool.com/wp-content/uploads/manage-msds-pif/pif/CENTER SAVER.pdf

White led did NOT, in fact, work all that well when each of us had our own tin of it. Lots of side-trips ensued to experiment with Arco graphite, Never-Seize, Moly Slip-G, etc. Cimcool "center saver" works better.

And NOT in that fool hole, either. Put a rubber plug in it so it dasn't catch stuff and store the dauber in a safer place.

Any goop stored there just gets dirty and ends up 80+ wasted. Hang a Cimcool squeeze tube somewhere close-by instead, waste very little of it, and be happy it doesn't harden and require stirring as white lead was wont to do.

Sometimes the "good old days".. were NOT, so a decent LIVE centre is a nice thing to keep handy as well.

DC is technically zero runout, live center never quite.. but the DC goodness lasts only until it starts to get hot and wallow or not be in proper axial loading, so it isn't the best for all tasking.

I'm confused, I was always under the impression that Daubers were for applying white lead to centers, And Dipsticks owned and operated South Bends.:D Dave [acme thread]

I'm confused, I was always under the impression that Daubers were for applying white lead to centers, And Dipsticks owned and operated South Bends.:D Dave [acme thread]

That does seem to track with Flashbulbs running single-use @las disposables, and S**thooks co-populating with keep-on-sucking Horror Fright LSO's and Chicom mill-drills...

:)

Thanks All

Thanks for the replies, I will put the dauber away in a safe place. I was stung by a mud dauber once, and I wouldn't want that to happen again.

John

I was stung by a mud dauber once, and I wouldn't want that to happen again.

John

More realistically, our one just happens to have been placed down-low where IT can get "stung".

Stub of tubing, OFF side of the TS, and a tube of pink slime - or wotever - is less in harm's way.

I don't use a DC often enough to even take the lube from drawer to lathe unless it is going to be used, that go.

Thanks for the replies, I will put the dauber away in a safe place. I was stung by a mud dauber once, and I wouldn't want that to happen again.

John
Personally, I would just let it rest in it's little socket in the tailstock. Putting things aside are how they get permanently separated from the machine. I really wish the guy the set the dauber from my machine aside somewhere, hadn't.

Cal

Personally, I would just let it rest in it's little socket in the tailstock. Putting things aside are how they get permanently separated from the machine. I really wish the guy the set the dauber from my machine aside somewhere, hadn't.

Cal

You want a duplicate of my dauber? I will be happy to make you one. Of course I am just an amateur. I know that most of you guys are machining uranium pockets for the DOE to one millionth of an inch. My work wouldn't be up to your standards, but I would at least be able to repay some of the great advice I have received from this forum.

John

You want a duplicate of my dauber? I will be happy to make you one. Of course I am just an amateur. I know that most of you guys are machining uranium pockets for the DOE to one millionth of an inch. My work wouldn't be up to your standards, but I would at least be able to repay some of the great advice I have received from this forum.

John

If your are serious, I can ship you a length of stock good for six or so of 'em you could stash for trading material. "Brass" round-dial here, y'see. Fugabuncha ZAMAK!

Getting au fait with working Nickel Aluminium Bronze will keep you out of Biker Bars and Brothels for a spell... or drive you to 'em..

:)

I will make up a few. OK not guaranteed but do my best. I sent a message to Monarchist to send stock but it said he was full of something and couldn't be sent. Or his mailbox was.

I will make up a few. OK not guaranteed but do my best. I sent a message to Monarchist to send stock but it said he was full of something and couldn't be sent. Or his mailbox was.

PM at work. Probably right both times.

Just sent you an email. I think. Test one to meself hasn't reached Zurich yet, but maybe PM email system doesn't support send-self.

My one should work - it is published in the profile.

Back