What's new
What's new

DIY bed bracket for TA

spricehorse

Plastic
I am restoring a 41 round dial. The taper attachment is missing a few parts. One missing part is the bed bracket. In a few hours I was able to mill out a functional bed bracket I took two chunks of 1 X 2 hot rolled. On the one I milled a 1" by 1/2" rabbit and drilled a "W" hole. (Clearance for a 3/8" bolt). On the other, I milled two 3/4" side reliefs, leaving a 1/2" tongue. On the tongue I milled a 1/2" slot for the TA draw rod. On the opposite end I milled a 1/4" rabbit so the bed bracket has a ledge to sit on the same level as the underside of the way (the way is 3/4" thick.). With the milling done, I fitted it up in place and tack welded the two pieces together. Took it off and finished the welds. For the bed bracket I simply used a piece of 5/16" hot rolled milled to fit in the hole. I will try to post a picture. Mine is obviously home made, which I like because it gives me bragging rights, but with a little time on the bench grinder a guy (or gal) could make it look quite like the original.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 135
For info, originals hooked over inside edge of rear way. My CW16 was broken more than once there

Attachments

• DCP_0964.jpg
    DCP_0964.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 100
For info, originals hooked over inside edge of rear way. My CW16 was broken more than once there
Thanks for that improvement. I haven't had any problem with it holding, but I can see that with that lip, it would be much more secure. Next time I will add that.

"And foidemore"... the one I bought from Bob, finished and painted - plus the adjuster rod he also offers - were as perfect a drop-in fit as could be asked for.

Anyone wanting to re-invent this particular wheel has a prettttty hiiiigh bar to clear to beat that!

:)
He said he is making more next month. My order is in..

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Back