What's new
What's new

DSG 13x42 Clutch adjustment

mark123

Aluminum
Hi,

Took the top plate off the headstock recently to check the clutch only to find the reverse clutch was getting very hot even when just using forward speeds. Presumed it needed adjustment so looked up the limited manual I have but I am having trouble sorting out exactly how to do it.

011.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
001.jpg
003.jpg

The clutch adjustment page shows a slightly different arrangement to mine. On mine if you press in the small pin you can them move the lever out which extracts a internal pin and the adjustment ring becomes free. As you turn it it moves in or out and adjusts the amount of free play for the clutch plates. On the instruction page it talks of different clutch sizes from 20 to 70. What does this refer to?

Has anyone adjusted their clutch and can give me some insights into measuring the "clutch size" and therefore the appropriate gap.

Thanks

Mark

those plates look dry and maybe overheated....or maybe its just the pic. They should be wet with oil after running.....are you sure they're getting enough oil.

I confess similair confusion to you on the adjustment. I did mine, sort of, but it is occaisonally too slow to stop, so should probably attempt it again. The (for me) almost unfollowable instructions led me more to trial and error. My interpretation of the clutch sizes was just that, that the lathe or different models might recieve different clutches and that the page in question would be used for various manuals. Of all the wonderful things DSG did just perfectly, the clutch adjustment page wasn't one of them.

Hopefully some very knowledgable person will chime in and shore up the manual with proper instructions on the those clutchs

Thanks Mcgyver,

The reverse clutch has certainly been over heating for some time which is the cause of the discolouration. There is plenty of oil circulating which is very evident if you run the machine while the top lid is removed (not recommended). It may well be a case of trial and error as it is obvious when the clutches are too tight. So maybe adjust till too tight then back off till feels right?
If you are finding the chuck slow to stop in neutral there is a brake for the spindle which is applied in neutral and this may need adjustment.

Anyway we will see if any other DSG owners have any insights.

Thanks

Mark

its been awhile since i've been in there, there's a pump you have to prime....not sure its a seperate pump for the clutchs, but its in the section to the right of whats visible in 2nd from last pic. maybe its for the brake? sorry its very hazy, a vague heads up is the best i can do. Even though the oil is circulating, make sure its circulating to the clutches, ie the pump I sort of remember or maybe there's a clogged line etc.

Dear,
I bought an old Dean Smith Grace 13X42 lathe and it still work fine,however,the speed chart on the front side of the head stock and the thread chart on the rear side of the head stock are missing. Please can you get me a picture,scan or properly tabulated and well written out copy?

Thanks in anticipation of your swift reply.

Peter

Back