What's new
What's new

DSG Type 13Z resto

Demon69

Titanium
After getting the old girl home a year ago, have finally got some time to show her some love.
The general plan is to have it in pieces, inspect / scrape / paint. The primary objective is to learn and have fun but bearing in mind I dont know what im doing, Im hoping the DSG experts can put their heads around the door from time to time. ;)
as it was.jpg

First up is the compound.
I decided to make a gib for it in CI (gifted scrap). Im not sure if it supposed to be this way but i wanted the gib to bare on the compound slide way and dovetail.
The gib mounting surface was scraped parallel to the top and bottom of the compound and is good to .0002.
20140619_103813.jpg 20140619_103847.jpg

Next i machined the slide. The slide surfaces were out by a good .007. Whilst it was in the machine i took a 0.025ish off the top to clear the compound, it had been previously been providing 'slide' duty :D.
Using the compound as a master i scraped in the slides.
20140619_214707.jpg 20140619_214714.jpg 20140619_214723.jpg

Looks like you DO know what you're doing! Keep the pics coming.
Thanks Ray, but I can assure you im lite on experience in everything that will make up this thread, apart from the perhaps the painting bit. I'll make up for that with more pictures. ;)

Cheers
D

I need a 50 degree straight edge to spot the compound slide dovetail.
Starting with a lump of CI hewn from an old boat keel, I quickly found that you need to get under the scale if you like your tool. The other problem is it does an great job of hiding the the bit that someone welded (or whatever else that produced a FO hard spot),, the noise was unholy!
20140620_173048.jpg
After grinding out the offending spot I ended with this. At 2" x 2.5" x 19" i should have enough for one long one (slicing along its length at 50) saving some spare for future tools.
20140620_225042.jpg

LOL, love the power feed system :D
Gota love the bungees ;)

On the scraping, how are you planning the sequence? Here's the compound i did on mine. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/dsg-compound-scraping-question-216560/
Cheers for the link Mcgyver, interesting stuff. I think my path will be similar to yours, general gist as follows.
i) Scrape compound flats to a plate. (done)
ii) Scrape compound slide flats to compound. (done)
iii) Scrape compound slide dovetails to straight edge, ensuring they are parallel. (with the SE im making)
iiii) Scrape compound dovetails to the compound slides dovetails. (might scrape the the gib dovetail face separately, ill see what clearence ive got when im ready)

I understand what youre saying re the SE not needing to be 50 degrees. Am doing it that way for the following:-
i) Dovetails are pretty small, tough id imagine to spot it as a single face.
ii) I need a an 18" SE to scrape the dovetails on the saddle cross slide dovetails.
iii) Overall, atm, I prefer the method involving 2 faces. But that might change ;)

After seemingly trying F it up on purpose (too small mag chuck, compound sine table, slipping cutter)

110579-a.jpg

I decided to strap it to the table with a couple of homemade dodads.

110578-20140626-174904.jpg

110580-20140626-192107.jpg

The numbers are as follows. The flat face was 0 , 4 , 6 , 4 , 0

110582-20140626-202754.jpg

And the angled face 2 , 4 , 0 , 4 , 2

110581-20140626-202632.jpg

Feel free to suggest better ways of doing this stuff btw, im here to learn.

So i started to scrape the prism today, heres a quick walk through of what i did.

After 3rd blueing of the bottom (flat face) after rough scraping, using a file to deburr.

110659-20140627-114049.jpg

1 1/2" feeler getting grabby both sides.

110660-a.jpg

After 6th blueing.

110661-20140627-120458.jpg

After 9th blueing, hit the floor baby!

110662-20140627-121222.jpg

After 10th blueing, im calling that roughed in. Took about an hour :)

110663-20140627-121719.jpg

And the angled side.

Starting here.
110664-a.jpg

After 3 rubs.

110665-a.jpg

After 6 rubs.

110666-a.jpg

After 9 rubs. Chasing a hole.

110667-a.jpg

One rub later and its roughed in. Also about an hour.

110668-20140627-143639.jpg

Going for the finnish on the bottom surface. Using the stone instead of the file.

After just stoning the roughed surface.

110669-a.jpg

3 rubs later, heavy blue, semi rough cross cutting, heavy stoning.

110670-20140627-185900.jpg

6 rubs in, chasing some holes.

110671-20140627-192422.jpg

9 or 10 rubs in, lite stone on the final pass and calling done on this face. Took about an hour and 20.

110672-20140627-195201.jpg

Doesnt show so well in the pic but those little shiny highs all to the 1/10th or 2 is what its all about imho.

110673-a.jpg

Cheers for the link Mcgyver, interesting stuff. I think my path will be similar to yours, general gist as follows.
iii) Scrape compound slide dovetails to straight edge, ensuring they are parallel. (with the SE im making)
iiii) Scrape compound dovetails to the compound slides dovetails. (might scrape the the gib dovetail face separately, ill see what clearence ive got when im ready)

I understand what youre saying re the SE not needing to be 50 degrees. Am doing it that way for the following:-
i) Dovetails are pretty small, tough id imagine to spot it as a single face.
ii) I need a an 18" SE to scrape the dovetails on the saddle cross slide dovetails.
iii) Overall, atm, I prefer the method involving 2 faces. But that might change ;)

I've done the same in the past for and for the same reason...I just thought if you didn't know, the reference only needs one surface and to be acute to the dovetail....but you are ahead of me. The slight disadvantage is you are spotting with a linear back and forth vs the more random small orbital movement, but its not a game change imo.

when you say file, a deburring file? (apologizes if i'm telling the choir how to sing)

Don't forget to get a set of dowel pins or pin gages and mic the bottom dovetail over the pins for parallelism in several spots as you go down the length. It won't be good to have that tapered and it will need to be straightened via scraping to fit like its supposed to.

I've done the same in the past for and for the same reason...I just thought if you didn't know, the reference only needs one surface and to be acute to the dovetail....but you are ahead of me. The slight disadvantage is you are spotting with a linear back and forth vs the more random small orbital movement, but its not a game change imo.

when you say file, a deburring file? (apologizes if i'm telling the choir how to sing)

I understand mate, and it makes good sense to me. IE If you have 50° surface to spot and only have 45° master you can still make work handsomely. Im guessing the taller the dovetail, the easier it would be to get a reliable print.

The file i used to debur when roughing is just an old dreadnought file that ive lapped. I find it cuts down turnaround time between rubs (no spirit residue to clean up).

No worries on the "singing to choir" front, this is the first dovetail ive scraped, first machine ive really had at. All input is welcome in all areas, especially when it becomes more challenging later.

Don't forget to get a set of dowel pins or pin gages and mic the bottom dovetail over the pins for parallelism in several spots as you go down the length. It won't be good to have that tapered and it will need to be straightened via scraping to fit like its supposed to.

Wildo matt. I did order some dowel pins after watching Nicks excellent video a while back. Just goto find em now :o

Back