What's new
What's new

Eastern PA Monarch guru needed

skydawg

Aluminum
Hi,I` m interested in a 10ee near Reading.I looked at it today,it`s a 1953 with some type of updated drive.There`s a newer motor in the MG compartment,no exciter.I wasn`t able to remove the left cover.If someone in that area could inspect and evaluate this beast ,I`d be glad to pay you for your time. Thanks.

Motor in MG Space

"Theres a newer motor in the MG compartment"

You are saying that inlieu of the MG setup there is a newer motor or do mean there is a newer motor driving the lathe.

Please expand on that

Hi Tom,there was a newer-looking motor in the MG location,with no piggyback exciter. I wasn`t able to get the cover off the left side as a Collet handwheel was installed and I couldn`t get the spindle locked to remove it.What I thought was the lever wouldn`t move,and I didn`t want to force it.The seller is a machine broker and wasn`t familiar with the controls,either.This may all be moot,as of this morning someone in CA did the BIN.The seller said he`d call if the buyer changed his mind when he got the shipping cost.

The Spindle end is where the drive motor is, a MG would be at the tailstock end. Just a twist of the two knobs and the cover is off. On a machine that has a lever operated collet closer, the upper cover is bolted to the headstock, if not bolted a 180 degree twist of the top center knob will release the cover which you just tilt to remove.

Keep looking, good luck

Hi Bill,what would the exciter have been replaced with,to keep the MG functional,assuming the original spindle motor is still in place.There weren`t any added pots or switches visible.Thanks. Tom

An unaltered MG setup is what Im looking for.Unfortunately,most ads seem to ignore any details pertaining to the drive.When asked,they have no idea.That`s been my limited experience,so far.

Back