What's new
What's new

Feed Rod Noise

MCritchley

Stainless
I noticed an unusual noise coming from the feed rod gear box. The noise sounds like a gear clash of some sort. I have a 30" EE so the feed rod is a little longer, if that makes a difference.

I am able to hush the noise by putting a little pressure on the shaft with my finger either by the drive end or the support end. I belive the noise is coming from the drive end

The noise still occurrs when i engage the feed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Definitly a Rhythmic type of noise. The oil levels are good, i dont know what type of oil is in the lathe off hand but it is what monarch recomends.

Does the feed rod have a good coating of oil on it, or is it looking dry. Mine made noise when I first got it because it was dry. Is it running true?

Are all the levers/dials in a "home" position, and the three feed levers/dials set on feed?

I've found that at times I'm fooled, thinking I have a lever/dial all the way home, when it is not. Any time there is noise, that's what I suspect.

-Dave

I have had the machine For a couple of months, and the machine had just started to make the noise. The rod does have a little bit of runout, but it always has.
All levers are home as that being the first thing that I checked. I also regreased the support end bearings but this did not eliminate the noise.

On mine, when I disasembled the box, I found alot of evidence of old coolant in this area. Those shaft bearings do not have a real seal there. Both sets of bearings of both the feed rod and leadscrew were totally trashed and rusted. Incidently, there are proper lipped seals available that will fit in those bearing housings.

Back