What's new
What's new

EE moving along...

macona

Diamond
Finally got the last (I hope) coat of paint on. What a pain! I hope I never have to do this again. Used "Aircaft remover" to strip the paint and Zep purple to degrease. Filled in all the big hole with polyester putty. Then hit it with a sprayable filler/primer/sealer.

Last saturday I shot it. Used Sherwin Williams Air-o-jet alkyd enamel. Supposed to be ready to shoot right out of the can. NOT!. Thinned it down and went to a bigger tip. Didnt thin it down enough and I should of stuck with the other tip as I got run city. Plus the stuff has yet to harden.

Stripped a bunch of it back down this week and tonight reshot it this time thinning it down with the smaller tip. Also using a add in hardener that is supposed to kick the paint a lot faster.

The color was not as deep as I had hoped for. Oh well. Still not bad and better than dewalt yellow. Going to chrome powder coat the vent strips.

Tommorrow or the day after I will drag it back into the garage and level her up and get ready to moglice.

I also picked up a decent master precision level off ebay. Box is a bit beat up but it turned out it is a 8" Brown and Sharpe #3000 Swiss made level. .0004" per div at 10". Paid a little over $50. Tried it on the pool table and I have a pretty darned level pool table! I shoot better too now! ;)

Heres a couple pics. Camera did not quite get the color right:

DSC03086.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

That was the color I was shooting for but it didnt come out as dark as the color swatch.

Since all my dials and plaques are brass they ought to like nice.

I sprayed some parts 2 months ago with Sherwin Williams Industrial Alkyd enamel. Took a long time to dry, they still are soft enough to make marks in with a thumbnail. I stripped some of the parts and repainted them with something else, I'm still watching the others to see if they eventually harden.

I like the color too.

You can probably find some nail polish to match for touch ups...

Of course I like Minneapolis Moline Gold from TS lately, so don't pay any attention to me.

Looking forward to seeing it with the plaques all shined up, keep at it,

Rob

Sherwin Williams Industrial Alkyd enamel. Took a long time to dry
I shot my lathe with KEM-400, a SW paint. I thinned it a lot, about 50%, and in the winter I thinned with tolulene. Never had trouble with hardening. The smaller bits I'd put into the greenhouse to cure. Summertime it hits 155 degF or better, I have to wait for morning to pull things else I'd burn myself.

Couple more pics. Slowly assembling it. Last night I cleaned the brass plates and filled them in with gloss black rustoleum enamel and baked them in an old toaster oven. Sanded them down this morning and sprayed with a clear coat after install.

Looking pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

The camera will not take a good pic of this color.

DSC03091.jpg

DSC03092.jpg

DSC03090.jpg

"The camera will not take a good pic of this color."

In the bad old days of "Three-Strip" Technicolor (1934-1955), an assistant would place a Kodak neutral gray card, sometimes called a "Lilly", apparently after the name of the operator who carried it, within the scene, at the end of the take, so that the proper color balance could be achieved in the lab, later.

The same could be done in cases like this one, and the "Lilly" could be edited out, later.

Or, if all photos are taken under the same lighting conditions, a single frame of the "Lilly" could be taken, and the color correction for that one frame could be applied to the subsequent frames.

Such gray cards are available, or used to be available at Kodak dealers.

Yes, the tags are magnificent.

Paula, over in the SB Lathe Forum has done some exceptional work on her several SB products.

In particular, see her restoration of a SB rotary table.

She explains her techniques in detail, and her results are well worth evaluating.

Ah yes, the old gray card, a handy reference in the thrilling old days of still photography also. Used them in the 9 neg series for testing B&W films along with color films, often using a densitometer on the negs or slides. Went to school to learn that old stuff
The gray card was very useful in tough lighting conditions for exposure settings.
I thought the red would look a lot better with some contrast of the bright metal, and it does.
I have to say the first pic looks like ass.

Macona- You keep this up and you won't want to use your lathe as it will be too nice! Very nice work. It's something I'd expect to see on display in a Monarch museum.

macona

Fine looking job. Its always nice to see a freshly painted machine.

And the brass tags sure set it off, like the icing on a cake.

Keep the pics coming.

Hal

Back