What's new
What's new

Gah, Orientation of gear in back gear box?

mike.thomas1

Aluminum
Man, I am finally putting this gearbox and motor combo back together. I got the back gear box in pieces, though it goes together pretty intuitively I question the orientation of the larger diameter gear that runs on the counter shaft. I can't determine if the raised shoulder side goes towards the bearing or sliding collar. Why are there no darn diagrams floating on the inter webs. Im questioning the orientation since when i snug things down it binds in the back gear selection. If I remove the three screw cover plate for the front bearing (the 6203 one) it seems to alleviate the issue. Thoughts?

I looked on my diagram and very hard to discern anything. Is the raised shoulder about the size of the inner race of the bearing? If it is, I would bet this goes to the bearing side. Seems to me a uneducated armchair engineer, that you wouldn't want a flat face against both inner and outer races of a roller bearing without a washer or raised shoulder.

Man, I am finally putting this gearbox and motor combo back together. I got the back gear box in pieces, though it goes together pretty intuitively I question the orientation of the larger diameter gear that runs on the counter shaft. I can't determine if the raised shoulder side goes towards the bearing or sliding collar. Why are there no darn diagrams floating on the inter webs. Im questioning the orientation since when i snug things down it binds in the back gear selection. If I remove the three screw cover plate for the front bearing (the 6203 one) it seems to alleviate the issue. Thoughts?

Main 'thought' I am taking away is make notes at each step, and USE my paid-for Nikon when I take mine apart (two for sure, enough parts for a third, maybe) so I don't get into the same fix as you have.

Not criticizing.

Grateful for the timely reminder of why we need to do stuff that way, rather.

Main 'thought' I am taking away is make notes at each step, and USE my paid-for Nikon when I take mine apart (two for sure, enough parts for a third, maybe) so I don't get into the same fix as you have.

Not criticizing.

Grateful for the timely reminder of why we need to do stuff that way, rather.

I would normally do this but I got the box in parts. I was running and am still running the deeper shoulder against the bearing. It turned out the problem was i did not offer any relief in the adapter plate and the shaft and inner race were rubbing the aluminum adapter. Took it apart, cut a .030 relief counterbore and viola!

...It turned out the problem was i did not offer any relief in the adapter plate and the shaft and inner race were rubbing the aluminum adapter. Took it apart, cut a .030 relief counterbore and viola!

Just went looking for a thread that said you had/did an AC+VFD conversion - didn't find such.

What ARE you running, then?

I'm still looking for WHY that relief had to be ADDED.

My ass u me umption is that there is a shop-fabbed adapter plate involved - characteristic of VFD conversions that retain the gearbox.

Anything '100% OEM' should have left Sidney, Ohio with all the right shapes and sizes and fits it needed, and go back together with the same fits, as-had.

Or .. another possibility, I suppose, if the castings and such are OEM and a replacement bearing is not the same width, or not seated the same?

Not saying the relief was the wrong thing to do. Just wondering what led to the need for it.

I googled GAH, and found that is an interjection expressing dismay. Are you sure that you didn't mean WAH? I thought that GAH was a feature on a Monarch lathe when I first read the post. I knew of no such features on Axelson or LeBlond lathes. Further consideration convinced me of my error in thought. This has been duly filed in my vast supply of useless knowledge and wasted time. :confused:

Back