What's new
What's new

Is this a genuine 10ee machine lamp

guythatbrews

Titanium
Hey all youse guys that have been around the block. Is this a Monarch lamp?
10ee lamp.jpg
I almost pitched it because I've been cooked my these hot muthas more than once. If it came with the lathe I will keep all the old guts but put a cool LED bulb into it. If not a monarch may look around to find something better. I really like task lighting, especially since the eagle eye phase of my life is past.

Greg

Hey all youse guys that have been around the block. Is this a Monarch lamp?
View attachment 221448
I almost pitched it because I've been cooked my these hot muthas more than once. If it came with the lathe I will keep all the old guts but put a cool LED bulb into it. If not a monarch may look around to find something better. I really like task lighting, especially since the eagle eye phase of my life is past.

Greg

No real means have I to verify if mine was original. Much time had passed since 1942.

But it looks as much like the one I threw in the trash when I stripped the electricals as I paid any attention to at the time.

LEDS come ready-made for a pittance that have far saner physical layout.

The mount doesn't look right for a 10ee, but that being said it's of the right vintage. I have something similar on my 10EE.

As for LEDs - I don't trust them for the flicker. Maybe if I remoted the DC and put some caps on the output to level it to real DC I'd trust it.

The mount doesn't look right for a 10ee, but that being said it's of the right vintage. I have something similar on my 10EE.

As for LEDs - I don't trust them for the flicker. Maybe if I remoted the DC and put some caps on the output to level it to real DC I'd trust it.

Haven't had any flicker problem last 2 years with this one:

Realspace LED Gooseneck Lamp 22 12 H Black by Office Depot & OfficeMax

Classical spiral flex, but it has two unbending straight stiffener sections in it, so it stays were it is put better. I have another with a lighted magnifier as the head.

Plenty of choices, not enough spare time to be bothered to DIY on this sort of goods.

I doubt it has anything Monarch exclusive to it, I have a AA Harrison that had one on it and have another one mounted to a work bench. I imagine that was probably available in most generic accessory catalogues way before the halogens with billet aluminum, coolant proof housings and such were a gleam in any ones eyes.
BTW, I've never owned a Monarch EE or any other lathe with their name on it so maybe it was offered my the factory?
Dan

I have a lamp like that on my 1959 Series 62, not sure if Monarch or Mobil Oil put it on? My 1973 K&T 320TF along with my big radial drill from WWll era? have them as well. My 10EE has a Luxor drafting style lamp. As noted, the frames are not great for positioning on the fly and, they do get hot. Kinda doubt they were "factory" anything, they all seem to be mounted with that same cheesy angle.

Steve

Thanks for all the replies!

Well since this thing not an original it won't go back on the lathe. I'd keep the guts to modify later for a more fixed application but I know myself better than I used to. Can you say "hoard"?

Interesting so many of these out there. Not so many choices back then, and for sure no harbour freight!

Flickering issue noted! I will try an LED to get away from the halogen heat and if I have the same problem I can always use it elsewhere.

Greg

Hello Greg. Your lamp is probably a Dazor or Fosteria. Both after market lights seen on machines in the 40s, 50s, 60s era. Limited in tasking but definitely period correct. I use them but supplement with plenty of overhead lighting, white walls and white ceilings for lots of reflection. Yours looks really clean for its age
Jim

Hello Greg. Your lamp is probably a Dazor or Fosteria. Both after market lights seen on machines in the 40s, 50s, 60s era. Limited in tasking but definitely period correct. I use them but supplement with plenty of overhead lighting, white walls and white ceilings for lots of reflection. Yours looks really clean for its age
Jim

It’s a Fostoria lamp, definitely not a Dazor. The angle bracket is wrong for the 10ee. The 10ee would have a casting that mounts on the opposite side of the headstock behind the spindle control.....I have one on a 1957 10ee, could get some pictures if needed?

Kevin

The mount looks a lot like this one:

10ee_lamp_base.jpg

But the lamp is very different. Here's a shot from the 1958 brochure cover:

10ee_original_lamp.jpg

Back