What's new
What's new

Guy's WWII U.S. Navy 10ee

SWA Guy

Aluminum
Hello all,

I had been on the hunt for a WWII round dial 10ee since I first fell in love with them in the late 90's. My Dad was in the Navy during WWII and had been a trained machinist. Long story.

Anyway, I found my lathe just 10 miles from my house. I had been stuck unused in the back of a working shop since the early 80's. Though I haven't done a complete survey, it appears to be in good condition, with a taper attachment and one 3-jaw chuck. I plan to repaint and polish, and get it running again.

The bad... the original electronics and drive have been removed. It was "converted" to 220v single phase sometime in it's life. The gearbox is apparently from an old elevator and there is a large rheostat with an arm welded to it for speed control. It's crap. I need to remove everything and build up a new system. My plan is to install a 5hp 3ph motor, driven by a VFD, and attach it to an original gearbox. The original speed control knob will be connected to the VFD to operate as intended.

I am now actively looking for an original gearbox (as well as a few other small parts). If anyone has parts or suggestions, please pm me! I am open to all suggestions.

I will post to this thread as I make progress in getting this old girl back up to speed.

A couple of pics attached.

Thank you,

Guy in Sacramento
IMG_2245.jpgIMG_2246.jpg

The bad... the original electronics and drive have been removed. It was "converted" to 220v single phase sometime in it's life. The gearbox is apparently from an old elevator and there is a large rheostat with an arm welded to it for speed control.

Photos of that would be interesting. 10EE seem to have been converted to every sort of drive short of coal-fired steam up-and-down. Actually ... I'm not all that sure about the steam..

:)

Bill

I have attached a couple of pics of the rear of the motor with some sort of rheostat. The long arm extends through the front cover, where a slot was cut to allow actuation. Also one pic of the headstock end of the gearbox.

Sorry for the dark pics. I won't have good access for better pics until next week.

Anyone recognize this setup?

Thanks,
GuyIMG_3961.jpgIMG_3962.jpgIMG_3963.jpg

The two pics of the motor are out 180 deg. I cannot get them to rotate online. I have also rotated them on my computer before uploading a second time - still no luck. Sorry about that.

Thanks Lucky! I bought it from a downsizing shop. Since I am a WWII buff, I was thrilled to learn about it's history.

My die filer was shipped to the Chrysler Corp. in Sept. 1941. It was shipped to their plant where they manufactured the 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft gun. Like many of my machines, this little guy did his part for the war effort.

I have attached a couple of pics of the rear of the motor with some sort of rheostat. The long arm extends through the front cover, where a slot was cut to allow actuation. Also one pic of the headstock end of the gearbox.

Sorry for the dark pics. I won't have good access for better pics until next week.

Anyone recognize this setup?

Thanks,
GuyView attachment 178747View attachment 178748View attachment 178749

The two pics of the motor are out 180 deg. I cannot get them to rotate online. I have also rotated them on my computer before uploading a second time - still no luck. Sorry about that.

Be damned. It "looks like" that lever is altering brush timing, the 'devil horns' and pin limiting by how much. Wonder if it is a reversing mechanism rather than/instead-of speed/torque adjust?

This one IS an odd bed-partner. Even for the notoriously round-heeled 10EE [1].

More photos, please, when you can do.

Bill

[1] Anything with a flat-belt, vee-belt, synchronous belt, Poly-Vee or Micro-Vee belt has been known to turn on the submissive ol' gal. Shudda been a star in "Fifty Shades of Grey", the 10EE..

Bill, I'll return from a trip Monday night. I'll take some better photos after my return. I'm anxious to hear what you think of this setup.

Guy

Bill, I'll return from a trip Monday night. I'll take some better photos after my return. I'm anxious to hear what you think of this setup.

Guy

I think I am curious as to how well/poorly it works. Or not. No pressing plans to try to replicate it, IOW.

Back