What's new
What's new

Help with old lathe and info

I just bought a monarch lathe that obviously used to be a pole belt fed machine. It is a quick change gear model serial number under the tail-stock is 11417. It has been retrofitted with a 3/4 hp 1720rpm sinhle phase motor and a Ramsey Model A Ford 1MS transmission. I am new to metal lathes and machining so any information would really help on this. The main things I know are what I stated and that is is 36" between centers. I have a bunch of extra change gears and two extra four tooth chucks and a three tooth on it. It has a back gear setup for threading. I am not sure what the far right knob and lever controls on the cross slide. I know the lateral turn wheel, cross wheel, and half nut engagement knob. But there is a knob to the right of the half nut that loosens and moves up and you tighten it again and can go down again to the original position. And the far right lever moves up or down. Help with these would be great and if anyone has a change gear template they could send me for thread gears and main set upthat would be nice too. I plan to take this lathe apart, strip the paint, prime/paint fresh, lube and reassemble. Then I will enjoy using it... hopefully! I did make sure that it ran and changed into all gears on transmission before I bought it but I cannot find this type setup anywhere to get info. Thanks everyone for help in advance! Also I am new to this forum as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20140610_140842_371.jpg
    IMG_20140610_140842_371.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20140610_140816_409.jpg
    IMG_20140610_140816_409.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20140610_140825_296.jpg
    IMG_20140610_140825_296.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20140607_120642_941.jpg
    IMG_20140607_120642_941.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20140610_140805_922.jpg
    IMG_20140610_140805_922.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 173
Don't think that trans ever was near a Model A Ford ! That trans is at least double the size of a A Ford, and the mounting system is totally wrong. Those style drives were a common way to convert a line shaft machine to individual motors.

yeah, i know this trans is not directly from a model A Ford, it is a model 1MS but was designed specifically for machinery with a side shaft and bottom mount bracket. But I called the dealer for these (at least a parts dealer) and got schematics. It is the same trans configuration and shift pattern, same torque and speed ratio. There are actually like 4 different body configurations for this transmission. I am kind of glad it is designed to fit this way, it is easier to deal with.

I have been breaking down the parts and finally got it all stripped down tonight and started cleaning.

It looks a great deal like a Series O South Bend. Does it say Monarch on it?

This is DEFINITELY Series O South Bend - it switches from cross feed to long feed, and the center position is for when you are threading (which is the only time you use the half nuts)
But there is a knob to the right of the half nut that loosens and moves up and you tighten it again and can go down again to the original position.

I think you are calling the knob that works the apron clutch the half nut knob. The half nuts are controlled by the far right lever.
I am not sure what the far right knob and lever controls on the cross slide. I know the lateral turn wheel, cross wheel, and half nut engagement knob

Nothing about the tranny (in external appearance) is Model A Ford. I speak from sixty years experience:D

LIMA drives were Model A based, and retained the unmistakeable Model A cane shifter.

You can see some of the older Series O South Bends here in the 1913 catalog. Your very low serial makes yours quite ancient. The expert Steve Wells, in the SB section of the forum can pinpoint year it was made.

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1913_catalog/1913_catalog.pdf

Last edited:

Back