What's new
What's new

Hendy T&G Lathe

mpmar_bt

Cast Iron
I recently acquired a Hendey Tool and Gauge Lathe. It's the older design with a standard AC motor and the PIV box.

Hoping someone (Hendeyman) can date it from the serial number - 30954.
HendeySN.JPG

Hendey1.jpg

Hendey2.JPG

Poor thing is still on the trailer under a tarp. Good example of how well Fluid Film works - those drips in the serial number picture are water. It had been like that for days before I got a chance to get the tarps off and get it dried out. Still too wet here to get it unloaded.

It came with a four jaw, a really clapped out three jaw, tail stock, taper attachment and a steady rest. All of which is inside out of the rain.

So far the only thing that seems to be wrong is the push button stop on the lower belt/back gear lever is jammed. Someone removed the linkage to the headstock belt/back gear selector lever and only ran it in back gear.

I'll get some better pictures up once I get it inside and cleaned up a little.

I recently acquired a Hendey Tool and Gauge Lathe. It's the older design with a standard AC motor and the PIV box.

Sounds like the same drive as member Trboatworks, Annapolis, MD area has on his T&G.

He's rebuilt his, and rather nicely, but I don't recall if he posted the drive and belts and linkage work on PM.

May save you some grief to compare notes once you get to the photographable stage.

Bill

Let's see some photos of the drive. I spent a lot of time helping another member with one that has a mag amp drive and AC motor.

Cal

A little more progress

Got it unloaded and this thing is a beast. Tiny yes, but beast anyway.

On to the pictures.

Ready to go - covers off
ReadyToUnload.jpg

Center of gravity is high and forward. Would face plant in a heartbeat.
OffCenterMass.jpg

Rolling
DownHill.jpg

Down!
Grounded.jpg

Now it's in my shop getting cleaned up. There is a kind of a well in the headstock where the back gear drive is housed. It was packed full of grease, some odd fibers and a mouse nest. It must have had a new motor installed since it's a new style frame size and 3HP. I thought they originally came with a 1 and 1/2HP motor.

Take a look at the pictures in my t&g wreck thread, and you can see the back gear setup out of the lathe.
The pinion is buried way down in the bed, and requires the removal of the headstock to get at it in any substantive way. You might have some luck if you take out the spindle, but that is more work than the headstock itself.
See how much you can get out without disassembly. You might be happier that way...
Peter
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/hendey-9-t-g-wreck-216732/index8.html

Thanks for the link shapeaholic. My plan is to try to keep it all nice and assembled and just start using it. I think - minus the mouse nest - it was working fine and being used. I'll just have to make a tool to scoop the rest of that primordial ooze out of there.

The spindle belts look like they will turn to dust at any speed over 500 RPM. Anyone try to replace them with link belts? Any thoughts on how that might work? I understand that unmatched belts can be a problem

Nice find! They don't grow on trees. Glad to see the unload went well. I've put quite a few heavy machines on and off my mill using the Egyptian method. My mill was so heavy that when I got it to the ramps, it lifted the ass end of my truck 3' in the air. I had to use two bottle jacks to jack the trailer back up, and let the truck down. I only made that mistake once!

What's the top spindle speed on the T&G?

I haven't heard of any one trying the link belts, but sure would like to hear a report!
My experience with belts is that loose or mismatched belts will cause vibration, a sort of harmonic thing. Changing belts is rather a big job.

Hawkfan,
Max spindle speed changed over the years.
Someone else will have to comment on the early Hendey machine, mine is a Barbor Coleman built machine, that has a top speed od 3000rpm
Pete

Hawkfan: Thanks. Kind of right place right time kind of deal. Pure luck and very happy for it.

Top speed is 2,000.

I learned that you had to block the back of the trailer a little more gently than that. Was pulling a 12" HD shaper up the ramps while standing on the deck. Weight shifted past balance point and suddenly I was one inch higher. Lucky my ramps have feet, might of gotten really interesting otherwise.

Back