What's new
What's new

How long is a string??

Butch Lambert

Titanium
I have a 1956 WIAD 10EE. I think I have all the parts for the collet closer except the draw bar. How would I determine the length that I need?
No markings on any of my collet closer parts, I'm sure it is a Monarch.

Make a dummy bar, thread it into a collet, pull it up tight and mark the end flush with the rear of the spindle. Now you know the collet-spindle end distance you can do all your working out from there.

Butch

I measured my 10EE hand wheel style collet draw bar.

24 7/16" from the front of the tube to the fiber thrust washer in front of the hand wheel, that bumps up against the left end of the lathe spindle.

The tube is 26 15/16" over all length.

Hal

Hello Hal,
Yes it is a lever type.
Kalifornia Kid, just the kind of response that I expected from the furin west.

Well....hell! It was sort of a goofy threat title from the fellow in Poetry, TX don't ya think! Can't believe Mr.Milacron hasn't swooped down and closed it.

How about this..."twice the distance from the middle to one end". That's as good as this 71 year old Kalifornia Kid can come up with.:)

Stuart

Butch,

Monarch installed at least two different types of collet closers and some machines were fitted with after-market closers. Please post a photo of your closer so we can see what you have.

Cal

Monarch did in fact have different variations... I have 2 lever closer machines that are different, yet have the same monarch signature " z lever ". In general the aftermarket closers tend to be straight arms from what I have seen. In your situation I would measure and start long, thread extra deep and keep shaving length back until it works.

Back