What's new
What's new

I think I have lost it. I decided to refinish my 10ee

Latesurfrat

Plastic
So as the title says I think I have lost my mind. I have decided to take on a job that I don't have time for or really the knowledge. But I'm up for a challenge.

Here's where I am after 2 weeks of work 5 days a week every morning after I get off work.

Now I'm on the hunt for some parts befor I call Monarch.

Before
IMG_0094.jpg

After 2 weeks
IMG_0111.jpgIMG_0112.jpgIMG_0113.jpg

What final colors will be
IMG_0114.jpg

So as the title says I think I have lost my mind. I have decided to take on a job that I don't have time for or really the knowledge. But I'm up for a challenge.

Here's where I am after 2 weeks of work 5 days a week every morning after I get off work.

Now I'm on the hunt for some parts befor I call Monarch.

Before
View attachment 205160

After 2 weeks
View attachment 205156View attachment 205157View attachment 205158

What final colors will be
View attachment 205159

I have some round dial parts - piggyback-exciter MG, rheostats, etc.

Praise for the determination, but.. the 10EE will better appreciate having its MG and motor bearings seen to, its various and several commutators serviced, brush sets replaced and nicely fitted, worn switches, switch cams, relays, contactors burnished, adjusted, or replaced.

Lubrication.. pulling sight glasses and renewing (I've use LED flashlight lenses) cleaning out old crud so as to NOT get it back into circulation, flushing and topping up with the proper oils..

Not to mention a bed re-grind, carriage re-fit, TS.... apron rebuild.. and all that goes with those.

Paint?

Love the look of nice paint, but IMNSHO, that comes last unless you expect to do it twice.

After.... one is done scratching the piss out of it with chasing all the other stuff, above.

Best to leave it "in primer" until later. Primer is good enough to remind you you've made progress, and you'll be more relaxed about the rest of the work than with a finish coat.

:)

I have some round dial parts - piggyback-exciter MG, rheostats, etc.

Praise for the determination, but.. the 10EE will better appreciate having its MG and motor bearings seen to, its various and several commutators serviced, brush sets replaced and nicely fitted, worn switches, switch cams, relays, contactors burnished, adjusted, or replaced.

Lubrication.. pulling sight glasses and renewing (I've use LED flashlight lenses) cleaning out old crud so as to NOT get it back into circulation, flushing and topping up with the proper oils..

Not to mention a bed re-grind, carriage re-fit, TS.... apron rebuild.. and all that goes with those.

Paint?

Love the look of nice paint, but IMNSHO, that comes last unless you expect to do it twice.

After.... one is done scratching the piss out of it with chasing all the other stuff, above.

Best to leave it "in primer" until later. Primer is good enough to remind you you've made progress, and you'll be more relaxed about the rest of the work than with a finish coat.

:)

One of the main parts I'm looking for is the apron sump mine is missing. I do have a lead on a complete apron and carriage.

The mg set actually looks to be in real good condition. Almost like it has been rebuilt at least once in its life.

I have pulled the cover for the head stock the oil in it looks brand new I was shocked by that. No wear on the gears at all that I can tell. The gear box is another story. I pulled the drain on it an it has no oil in it so that's a little scary.

As for the bed re-grind that's to far out of my budget. I know the machine won't be perfect when I'm done. But I'm sure it will out preform any Chinese machine.

As for the paint that was done just to see if I liked the color. I have the right side cover and the front cover almost done with the body work. The only other thing that is in finished paint is all of the badges and the mg set. But I was using them to kill time waiting for filler to dry or paint stripper to do its thing.

One of the main parts I'm looking for is the apron sump mine is missing. I do have a lead on a complete apron and carriage.
The apron sump is a fairly simple rectangular casting. You could hog one out of a chunk of iron or aluminum or perhaps modify chunk of square tubing.

Monarch probably will not be able to help you with the apron sump, since your machine is a "round-dial" and they deal exclusively in "square-dial" machines, which have a different apron casting and sump.

Cal

Back