What's new
What's new

If I win the Lottery

Win the Lottery?

hell, I know a bunch of guys who drive trucks that cost that much money. And they dont even make parts on those trucks.
Of course, they do have digital compasses and bluetooth.

Assuming you had paying work for it, that aint expensive at all.
IF Monarch was still making lathes like that, you can be sure they would sell for closer to a Million dollars today.
An eastern european or Taiwan lathe that big is something like a quarter million, new.

If you dont have work for it, then, yeah, seventy grand is a fair amount for a toy- about half of the cost of the average pile of plastic crap rotting in the average driveway around here, in the form of dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and RV's.

I saw the lathe on their web site several weeks ago. It was still the original green,and IIRC, they did show the builders' plate. It is as the ad says.
Somebody else had this lathe ebay a couple weeks ago, may still be there, in it's green livery, but only 2 or 3 steadies, not the 5 shown, the extras would cost extra.

BTW, I haven't bought a lottery ticket in quite some time, always feel like an idiot for wasting my money on such long odds, horse racing is probably a safer bet.
Harry

P.S. The ad is still there, and it does have the builders plate.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONARCH-614...612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5404d41484

Yes, I know I'm a half mile from the track. The only times I've been there in the past 40+ years is for Scout-O-Rama in April, before the track opens for racing, when my son was in the scouts.
Harry

Wow;

Monarch must have gone to "lightweight"cast iron on the new lathes, my 2013X102 Series62 weighs a few hundred pounds more than the data plate says this weighs.

I did see the lathe on ebay when it was green and I was thinking what a nice lathe. I am not so enamored with it in gray!

Steve

yea Steve, I hate repaints as well, I would prefer to see the honest wear a machine has.

Charles

repaint

yea Steve, I hate repaints as well, I would prefer to see the honest wear a machine has.

Charles

I am in the final steps of rebuilding my 1945/1950 CK/KK lathe and a repaint was defiantly required. It appears to have been originally painted tan with orange MONARCH lettering but I am not sure. It was dark grey and before that green/blue. The bed was replaced with a much newer 1950 KK bed with almost no wear.

I ended up having to grind the saddle, compound and cross feed and applied Turcite and then scraped down to original height. The real PITA was the new compound nut alignment. After I turned a new nut and screw and machined off the old nut, it took a fair amount of time to get it aligned with no binding or noticeable friction. Items that were repaired or replaced (new ones made):
- clutch dogs re-machined and new custom keys made to match. Clutch plate was installed backwards and led to abnormal wear and failure of the brake to engage properly.
- complete new tailstock screw with hardened extractor tip. This was a fun one, LH ACME thread with new matching nut.
- complete strip and paint to nice light grey.
- new compound nut and screw.
- safety clutch added to power feed rod that allows for tripping when using power feeds like that found on the 10EE. Also allows for easier carriage removal.
- needle bearings and normal bearings added to TS end of power feed and threading rods. Bushings were worn and this is overkill but fun work. Now closer to later models.
- replacing 3HP VFD and motor with 5HP VFD and motor.
- decreasing top end speed and increasing low end torque.
- new leveling feet and increased height.

Most of this work required use of my recently rebuilt 10EE and now it looks like I will need to revisit carriage height on my 10EE as well as rebuild my B@S surface grinder (after I rebuild the kitchen of course).
Man I miss 12CK lathe!

I found that with 3 hp, the 16CK lacked power at some speeds and the VFD allows for a much higher top RPM. It would be nice to lower RPM changes between gears and lower the top end as well. I know the VFD can turned up or down to change the RPM but why would I need 2500 RPM on this lathe. The 10EE is better suited for high RPM work and I fear that someday I might change gears with the VFD set to 120Hz and get 2500 RPM with a large chuck mounted.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for posting this. I was the project engineer for these lathes. It was part of a huge Goverment order, mostly Navy machine. I think there were nearly 80 in the total order and too us about 3 years to complete. This was the largest CD lathe in the order. English/Metric gear box, two speed tailstock. Spindle speeds were increased also over a standard Series 614. It was a Model 2013. It is missing the chuck gaurd, work light, and the little door on the back of the headstock over the end of the spindle. Otherwise it looks like it never been used, which means it must have went to the Navy (lol).

This used the same designed casting as always, so the weight was suppect. Selling price in 1996 would have been between $200K to $250K. The majority of this order were 54 CD lathes and they were $180K.

John

Back