What's new
What's new

Issue with 10ee DC panel

gbward3

Plastic
I have a 10ee square dial that I was using this morning and it quit on me.

It's a square dial built in 1949, #32127.

The generator will fire up but it will not consistently go into forward or reverse. The contact seems sluggish, it will go if I push in the contact but may or may not stay in.

Here is a picture of my box. I have removed the Left contactor to inspect it. It seems to be in working order. IMG_20171002_162722869.jpg IMG_20171002_162710040.jpg IMG_20171002_161542217.jpg

I spent most of today researching on the forum and found this thread among others, http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/start-up-problem-m-g-machine-265676/#post2034250 that got me part of the way. Cal Haines was talking about the resistors, and this sounded like my issue, so I checked mine.

As you can see, they are only connected on one end, not sure how it was working at all. IMG_20171002_150709395.jpgIMG_20171002_150148399.jpg
It appears that someone replaced 2 of them but still had issues and just took them out of the circuit. The one original reads 1600 ohms, the other 2 nothing.

I can buy the resisters that Cal suggested but:
1. I don't know how to hook up the resisters because the wires are gone and I don't have (or couldn't find) a wiring diagram.
2. I have read many of Cal's posts on this subject but can't follow them because I don't have a diagram that names the components for me.
3. I'm not sure what was changed so it would run without the resistors, however, if I had a wiring diagram I could probably trace it out.

I plan to clean up the oil with some spray made for degreasing electrical components/motors.

Any suggestions or help finding a wiring diagram would be appreciated, ya'll helped me several years ago when I first got the machine. Thank you!

Your main problem is that you're missing the reverse contactor altogether. Since you can't "plug reverse" the spindle, it looks like they just bypassed the AP (Anti-Plugging) relay and associated wiring. Last I heard, member PaulM had some WaiD DC Control panels and other parts. I haven't seen him here in some time, but you can try sending him an e-mail or personal message and see if he has a panel or a Cutler-Hammer 598 relay for sale.

Send me an e-mail (not a personal message) and I'll send you the right diagram.

Cal

Your problem sounds like your exciter is putting out a low voltage check to see what this voltage is should be 100+ volts DC.

Thank you for your response and offer to send me a daigram. I did reply to you by email but may have not done it correctly. Regardless, I also ordered the manual from Monarch and got it on Friday. I had already ordered the resisters you mentioned in the other post that I referrenced in my orginal post. Long story short, I was able to trace it all out yesterday and it's running like a champ. Thank you Cal, I would not have figured it out withiout that earlier post.

Thank you for your response and offer to send me a daigram. I did reply to you by email but may have not done it correctly. ... Thank you Cal, I would not have figured it out withiout that earlier post.
Glad I was able to help.

I'm not sure what's going on with the e-mails here. This is the second time it's happened recently. 8-(

Cal

Back