What's new
What's new

At Least They Taped off the Knobs...

Oh my! I've seen a lot of sketchy paint jobs on lathes before, but I think this is the first time that they painted the ways . . . and the chuck! YIKES!

And I see that they have the condition listed as "Excellent". What a hoot!

Cal

^^^^^^^ Nah man, painting the ways is standard machine tool rebuilder hack procedure. Helps protect 'em from rust!

s/n 13693, built 8-1942.

"If only".. it had been painted that "overall" way on THAT DATE.. stored, unused, all the years since, then...

:D

But what with the starter "reset" button no longer evident, and a few other minor tattle-tales, we have reason to suspect otherwise, so..

:(

The model ID nameplate looks pretty.

I learned about full body paint when I watched Goldfinger the first time. No paint at the base of the spine allows the skin to breath.

I learned about full body paint when I watched Goldfinger the first time. No paint at the base of the spine allows the skin to breath.

Guess this 10EE is grateful the spray-gun - or was it a string-mop? - didn't fit under the bottom of the bed casting, then?

I'm not sure I'd admit to learning much from watching Goldfinger.. "first time" - given the implication there was a second and subsequent time...

I mean, I was dumbfounded when I saw the ad...in about 1/2 second, it registered....the steel strapping was painted????!!!!

I'd really like to know the backstory, I just can't believe either an owner or a reseller would actually be dumb enough to do that. Maybe the guy cleaning the shop that the boss told to "clean up and paint that machine over there!"?

Thought about calling on it to find out, but figure he's probably tired of explaining it by now.

I would be willing to bet that no prep was done before painting like cleaning off the dirt and old oil.
He also has 0 feedback as a seller and the two feed backs he has are a year ago for some stuff he bought from Zorro.

Guess this 10EE is grateful the spray-gun - or was it a string-mop? - didn't fit under the bottom of the bed casting, then?

I'm not sure I'd admit to learning much from watching Goldfinger.. "first time" - given the implication there was a second and subsequent time...

A slow learner always needs more time to figure out that watching Bond girls is better than looking at the lingerie section in the Sears Roebuck catalog. :D

May have been a genuine attempt to stop rust in storage. Years ago there was a company called London Machinery in Crystal Palace (SE London)who had to store their s/h stock outside - some actually on the pavement (before they moved into the Old Tram Shed). They used to paint machines with varnish. It seemed to be effective. My very first lathe in 1980(round head Colchester Student)was treated like that - absolute b@@@@@@ to clean up but no rust !!!!!

A slow learner always needs more time to figure out that watching Bond girls is better than looking at the lingerie section in the Sears Roebuck catalog. :D

Handicapped on the "visuals" to total indifference, here.

Learned way too early in life from smell, touch, and taste that "real" girls... are SERIOUSLY more enchanting creatures than printed page or silver screen....

May have been a genuine attempt to stop rust in storage. Years ago there was a company called London Machinery in Crystal Palace (SE London)who had to store their s/h stock outside - some actually on the pavement (before they moved into the Old Tram Shed). They used to paint machines with varnish. It seemed to be effective. My very first lathe in 1980(round head Colchester Student)was treated like that - absolute b@@@@@@ to clean up but no rust !!!!!

True as far as common sense goes, I suppose. Figure the dealer/staff viewpoint, of a near-certainty themselves a generation or three younger than the 10EE.

WTF value could a machine tool THAT OLD have left in it that stale chips, caked & dried oils, and general grunge could possibly enhance vs freezing the rusting process?

Paint - of THAT sort - comes off nearly as easily as it goes on, after all.

Spar varnish - the London example - not so much. Besides - for long years, London's synthetic coal-derived substitute for air was as corrosive - even lethal - as China's is now, if not more so...

I would be willing to bet that no prep was done before painting like cleaning off the dirt and old oil.

It could be much worse. They might have pressure washed it. I've seen it on ebay (remnants of a sudsy puddle around 10ee), and have since started noticing it in other cases.

For posterity.

Attachments

• paintjog.jpg
    paintjog.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 87
  • pjg2.jpg
    pjg2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 98

Back