What's new
What's new

Lodge and Shipley question

outlawspeeder

Plastic
John Oder,

I was point in your direction from another form as you are the go to person for informational on Lodge and Shipley Lathes.

I looking at buying a pair of lathes 14 in and 16 in Lodge and Shipley Model "A"s. lathes that have fallen on bad times.

https://thisisjust4fun.weebly.com/uploads/8/3/4/3/83432368/lathe.png

Sorry the Photo is not the best, I'll post better if I get to see them.
My Questions:
Can you tell me how much do these weigh? I heard 3500 to 7500 pounds?? That's a wide band.

Not knowing if there is a hoist on site, is there a easy tear down to move it as pieces? ie remove motor. head, tail, carriage, and legs.

Is there anything you can think of that I should look at that would make these not worth fixing up. (I want to do a full restore) My fear is the owner bought the two to build one...

Of course the lathes are not powered so the motors will be questionable.

I know to look in the head (full of water would be bad) but is there any tell-tell signs of abuse??

Thank You for any help. I have found the move I know going into a negotiation on price the better I come out. My biggest fear is buying at lathe prices for what can only be scraped.

If anyone else would like to chime in, please! All comments are welcome.

Good thing I look in the Monarch forum now and then

In August 1947 brochure, 14" was 5400 and 16" was 6100 - for the 30" between centers - longer ones heavier of course

Take enough time to have top covers off and see what the gears in the head stocks look like

Ordinary clod owners/operators can and do wreck even tough little A bones

Brian's 16" Model X up NS way was found to have lost seven teeth from one of his head stock gears

You won't like the cost or effort to replace any L&S head stock gear - these are the opposite of on-the-shelf stock soft steel gears - they are the very best that could be made 70 years ago

If you care for a personal opinion, your very last concern should be "restore". I like the story about the great Patent Head L&S on the west coast - completely apart for "restore", sold as pieces of junk when he got bored

I do understand your concern. It is easy to get lost in other projects. I have finish many projects that have been started by others just to sell them back to the person that pulled them apart.

That is a lot of weight. This means if I buy two to build one it will be a two trips to get them home. Or a truck rental.

Are the legs part of the ways are can they be removed? It would be nice to lower the center of gravity for moving these.

I will look over all the gears. I had expect that.

Likely upper and lower leg castings sandwiching chip pan - and separate from bed casting. They were practical folks designing these things

I do understand your concern. It is easy to get lost in other projects. I have finish many projects that have been started by others just to sell them back to the person that pulled them apart.

That is a lot of weight. This means if I buy two to build one it will be a two trips to get them home. Or a truck rental.

Are the legs part of the ways are can they be removed? It would be nice to lower the center of gravity for moving these.

I will look over all the gears. I had expect that.

You really need to stop extrapolating from South Bends sneaked up and down stairwells and in and out of basement windows and just start planning the appropriate equipment - rented or hired - to move these far heavier, well... "heavies"... just as they are.

Think it through.

You'd need to get serious lifting gear and tackle on-site just to TAKE them apart. Some of the pieces would then need crated, palletized, or would be difficult to secure from damage for a journey.

Same again for re-assembly. Lifting gear, and probably a helper or two, especially if you have not previously done it a time or three and have to ask what is involved.

No gain there. AVOIDABLE pain, rather. Best to move 'em intact.

Outlawspeeder, just checking to see where you are at with the 2 lodge and shipley lathes. I actually talked to the gentleman about those 2 lathes but we're just to far away to get to them. I actually have 2 model A's now; 16" and a 14". These guys have been gone through and are fully operational and quiet accurate for 75 & 80 yr old machines! True BEAST!!
Wood2steel

Hi John,
Wasn't sure if he would check his messages.
Soon as I get a chance I will post all the photos on the 2--Lodge and shipley rehabs that I have been dealing with the last 2 years. My main focus is the L & S model A, as I moved up from the 16" South end to these two Dream machines. Imagine a Cabinet shop in middle GA with 2 --L & S lathes! Haa
Also keep in mind that we are also producing aluminum and some brass casting reproductions of the L & S machine handles and handwheels as no doubt, several were broken when I aquired machinery. Thanks, will be in touch.
Johnny

Back