What's new
What's new

Looking for 10ee anywhere

Graybilldustin

Plastic
I am located near Omaha NE but willing to drive pretty far. Looking for a good deal on a 10ee. Everything currently on eBay seems over priced. Thanks.

I am located near Omaha NE but willing to drive pretty far. Looking for a good deal on a 10ee. Everything currently on eBay seems over priced. Thanks.

??

Cheapest three listed as of five minutes ago look like bargains to me.

Most of those above $10,000 look to be ready to roll, "revenue" shop.

Mind .. I own two 10EE already, so may legitimately be considered be prejudiced.
Or preverted. Or sumthin'....

where would you like to be on price? I have a round dial MG I have not put power to in 10 years of owning it....that likely runs... but probably needs some work... close to a door... but I don't want to give it away.

It is for my personal use to replace a shop fox 9 x 19 that I'm just finally fed up with the quality on. Mostly I'm looking for a good deal, project or running. Those fully restored machines on ebay are out of my price range, I would like to stay below 3 unless the deal is right then maybe I could go higher. The 2 that are at $3500 on eBay have some issues, the blue ones dive is cobbled together and the YouTube video shows it won't run up very fast. Obviously I would be more open to spending more on machines that are closer to me so I don't have to take much time off work to go get it.

My 10EE cost me $3,000 and I consider that a steal.
I had to clean and rebuild the carriage oil system, completely refurbish the taper, "recharge" and service the MG set, refurbish the tach, make new sight glasses, buy another tailstock, and adjust the spindle bearing preload.

Tooling adds another $3500, including my metric change gears. I still think I got a super deal.

I have found the 2 units below. Can someone tell me what the 3rd bar running underneath the carriage is for on the second one? I'm not used to seeing that in pictures. Also is there anything else that you can gather from the pictures about the difference between the units? I'm thinking about taking a drive up this weekend to look at both, can someone recommend things to check between the 2 units? Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a 10ee yet so the few things I know are from photos and articles online. Other than hearing how great these things are, i'm very unfamiliar with the different flavors out there.

00h0h_lp08dxp4fuY_600x450.jpg
00T0T_UCQzLwXzBa_600x450.jpg
00909_iJmHOurNebo_600x450.jpg
01313_4k2GlpTCZJ7_600x450.jpg

I have found the 2 units below located in Lansing. Can someone tell me what the 3rd bar running underneath the carriage is for on the second one?...

Edit: Hopefully nobody snipes me! :(

The third bar is the fwd/neutral/rev control rod for the ELSR. ELSR search should turn up quite a bit of info on it.

They are different ages. I'm not familiar enough with the non-MG versions, so I don't know off-hand what drive the second one came with, but it's had some sort of upgrade, probably from a failure of the original drive.

The machine with the Baldor "upgrade", whatever it consists of, started out as a "Modular" drive machine. Which means that it had a tube drive. It's the newer machine. The ELSR function is handy if you are making a lot of the same threaded part. Otherwise is takes too long to be worth setting up.

Since he's calling the other machine a "generator" drive, it probably has the original motor/generator (MG) drive. Those drives are very robust and can be kept running indefinitely.

I can't really tell for sure from the photos, but it looks like the MG machine has a taper attachment. The Baldor machine probably does not.

Both machines are known as "square-dial" 10EEs. "Square-dial" comes from the square data plate on the quick-change gearbox. (Older machines--pre 1945--had a round data plate and are called "round-dials".)

Cal

Be very careful with any machine from a shop that makes carbide inserts. Most of the machines I have seen over the years from these shops are usually heavily worn! The carbide gets everywhere in these shops and mixes with the lube and makes a nice lapping compound!

Make sure you inspect the lathes in person.......

Kevin

My 10EE cost me $3,000 and I consider that a steal.
I had to clean and rebuild the carriage oil system, completely refurbish the taper, "recharge" and service the MG set, refurbish the tach, make new sight glasses, buy another tailstock, and adjust the spindle bearing preload.

Tooling adds another $3500, including my metric change gears. I still think I got a super deal.

You did get a great deal. I've seen dealers selling 10EE's for $6000 and up, with one that had been rebuilt and with a new drive selling for $11,000. Tooling is always extra - usually, every chuck has been removed, so you're buying the bare machine. And they sell at these prices as well - the high prices aren't just a dream.

Price a new Hardinge or Monarch sometime, and you'll see why these machines are selling for a premium - they are the standard of comparison for manual toolroom-quality lathes.

I have a 1944 10ee I have been thinking of letting go. I'm in Maryland though. The machine needs work. But doesn't look to be a bad machine. If your interested you can shoot me a text. I would say call but I live in a bad cell service area. 4435914236 Chris

"upgrade" probably will be inferior to the original system.

Very likely. If 3-Phase input only, it can be OK, ELSE directly replaced, and from any of many major brands.

If 1-Phase input only, a boost transformer must "be there", and with a "Four Quadrant" DC Drive rated for 400 VAC input or better.

Anything less - Vee Eff Dee included - is at least a modest downgrade, not upgrade.

Last edited:
I should buy all three.. Perhaps five..not many chances like this..but yes I am busy and heasding out of town againn..Darn.
Lansing / Mason, Michigan
lansing for sale "lathe" - craigslist

Yes and a nice HLV-H for $4k I should buy the whole lot...

Yes I had a chance to buy two EEs last year Just down the street for $1800 each, but they looked used..

Missing a deal just to go tenting with the Boy Scouts...Camp Rotary, Clair Michigan..

That becomes a very real concern. I'm presently "paying" for some shop equipment upgrades by building a garden storage building and installing a hot tub.....

Been there, done that -- including installing a hot tub! The back yard storage building will happen later this summer, with some day trips to various quilting destinations....

Back