What's new
What's new

Looking for lathe, Found this!!

I was unable to find the tag with information such as model numbers so, being inexperienced, I know nothing about the lathe, or the wheels. Any info about the lathe or a rough estimate on value would be appreciated. It runs, spins quiet and smooth. Gears are lubed well, not to much, not to little. New motor, 5hp, 240V, single phase. The screws all have about an eighth turn of "lash", if that is the correct term. Not much info to base a guesstimate on but anything will help.

I'm looking to add a lathe to the shop for gunsmith work and heard that Monarchs were quality pieces of equipment. So I'm looking at this one.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

I'm looking to add a lathe to the shop for gunsmith work and heard that Monarchs were quality pieces of equipment. So I'm looking at this one.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

Spindle bore diameter will probably not impress you for that. Monarch's tend to have tight pu...... er, ah.. 'spindle bores' .. for their size.

Old and slow - which it is - OTOH is generally not a barrier.

Bill

Well now ! If you hang around, I will try to scan an old Monarch catalog that shows that lathe almost to a "T" (except maybe with a longer bed). Says they made roll arounds in 14" - 20" sizes.

I mean really - who needs a rolling tool box when you can just bring the lathe to the box !

Seriously - you suck for finding that old jewel. LOL

excello

Looks like there is a steady rest in that box which you will need for gun work . Will need a decent tool post and 4 jaw chuck. $500 You will not want carbide tooling for 95% of the time too slow,HSS it is.

Last edited:
Thank you excello. It does exist. Many thanks for all other information and recommendations. I think I will keep looking. I am looking for a using lathe rather than a restoring lathe. The comment about spindle bore size especially resonated. I have run into that constraint on the lathe I'm currently able to bum time on.

It would have come with a few more items than shown in the one picture. A four jaw chuck and I believe there were two steady rests.

Someone will have a good project.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

I have two cone heads from that era. The early one was made in the teens and the later one was made in the early twenties. My early one has the same apron as the one you are looking at. It is from a time when Monarch advertised that it was the best lathe for the money. This translates into an inexpensive lathe built to a serviceable but just short of a poor quality standard.
After WW1, Monarch almost closed. At this time they changed their business model from the best lathe for the money to the very best lathes. My lathe from the early twenties was made to very high quality standards in every way. If you compare the two, it is hard to believe that they were made by the same company.
A few things to consider in addition to the mediocre quality, the straight cut gears in that lathe have a reputation for causing fine finish problems and long spindles are not on the list of things that you would want for gun work.
All that said, If you like old things, this lathe would be a great, rare and interesting toy to have and saving it from the scrap man would be awesome.
Good Luck, Mike

Hi Excello, It seems that you have a brochure that I have not seen before. Would you consider scanning and posting it for all of us to enjoy? I for one would greatly appreciate it. Anything old Monarch is always entertaining.
Thanks, Mike

Hi Excello, It seems that you have a brochure that I have not seen before. Would you consider scanning and posting it for all of us to enjoy? I for one would greatly appreciate it. Anything old Monarch is always entertaining.
Thanks, Mike

A suggestion would be to contact member Greg Menke. He has scanned AND hosted a number of my collection of pubs in a most professional way.

Early Monarch info is quite rare - it would be great if this catalog was so preserved and shared

Back