What's new
What's new

Looking for pics or plans for tailstock crank for larger Monarch

Torquin

Aluminum
I have a Series 60, 14" with a very heavy tailstock. On some of these larger lathes they came with a swing-away crank to move the tailstock. I know because I have seen it in the manual and in pics of large Monarchs. I would like to make one myself, since I doubt that anyone would part one off of anything but a junk lathe, and you don't see junk Monarchs very often.

Does anyone have any plans for building one of these?
Can anyone give me several close-up pics of theirs, so I can get some ideas for making my own?
Also, in the pics I have seen, I cannot tell if the gear contacts the lead screw or the rack under the bed. I think mine will have to contact the lead screw regardless, because my rack does not go all the way to the end of the bed. I do not know if the lathes with a crank have a rack that goes all the way to the end.
I will also need info on the pinion gear, if possible, as I need to make or buy one of those for this project.

Thanks,
Chris

I will also need info on the pinion gear

Rack teeth would take a normal (or maybe stub tooth) spur gear

Screw would take a helical circular pitch gear - which will likely be a custom built deal

As to "plan", here is thumbnail showing how simple the rack use is. A bracket - huge on this ancient Le Blond due to its broad front way - houses a retractable pinion on which there is a crank. You can yank the pinion right out and throw it on the floor if its in the way.

Attachments

• LeBlond 25 Heavy from 1920.jpg
    LeBlond 25 Heavy from 1920.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 131

Back