What's new
What's new

Lubrication Help Monarch 16"CW

gregfortin

Aluminum
I'm finally near to starting my CW16. I'm looking for help with the lubricants for the headstock and saddle. Anyone know the capacities? I've read about flushing the headstock with kerosene. After the kerosene in drained, will the residual fluid ( kerosene left in the headstock) ruin the new oil?
Most important, what would you recommend as the new oil? Mobil
Heavy/ medium? Thank you, Greg.

Attachments

• IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 209
My CW only goes to 700, and have used Mobil DTE Heavy medium for about twenty years in it. If it went faster and I used those speeds I would opt for DTE Medium.

Any ISO 68 (or 46 if faster) hydraulic oil down at the auto or industrial supply would likely do as well

Apron gets Mobil Vactra 3 (or 2 or 4) way oil. Don't assume the way oiling system that is housed in the apron actually works. Mine does not, so I always manually oil ways and slides and cross and compound slide screws. The next owner can fix the system if he wants.

When I flushed when I first got the lathe I sopped up all the remaining solvent I could with paper towels which I burned

What would you recommend as the procedural details to flush the headstock?
Drain all old oil, fill completely with kerosene, run low speed( how long?) then drain? I've never done this and am a little scetchy on the details. Thanks.

You may want to use a light weight oil, new, to run and then dispose of. I've read on this forum not to run kerosene for any amount of time. It could stir up grunge sitting at the bottom that has been undisturbed for decades. I've heard kerosene is ok to rinse once but not under power. Good luck with your project. Jim Murphy. San Diego

What would you recommend as the procedural details to flush the headstock?
Drain all old oil, fill completely with kerosene, run low speed( how long?) then drain? I've never done this and am a little scetchy on the details. Thanks.

Here is what K&T had to say about flushing their milling machines

Attachments

• KT Flush.jpg
    KT Flush.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 136
Hi,

did you end up working out how much oil your headstock took? mine does not have a sight glass - I removed the top headstock cover and the oil is roughly half way up the big gears at the bottom.. not sure if this is enough or not.

also what location did you put the oil in your apron?

Cheers

Back