What's new
What's new

Model 60 hard to dis-engage

sledder

Plastic
Hello,
I have a 14x54 model 60 Monarch. When I pull up on the handle to stop the machine it doesn't stop right away. I need to give it a hard pull and it will finally let go and the chuck will stop. I have pulled the top cover and inspected the shifter shoes and they look to be in good shape for 67 years old. I have been trying to get a hold of Scott at Monarch, but he always on the road. Any ideas on this problem?

Thanks
Mark

Hello,
I have a 14x54 model 60 Monarch. When I pull up on the handle to stop the machine it doesn't stop right away. I need to give it a hard pull and it will finally let go and the chuck will stop. I have pulled the top cover and inspected the shifter shoes and they look to be in good shape for 67 years old. I have been trying to get a hold of Scott at Monarch, but he always on the road. Any ideas on this problem?

Thanks
Mark

See if this helps;

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-clutch-brake-295117-post2430320/#post2430320

If worn parts, no need for Scott. Ask Terry for a price.

Monarchist,
I even adjusted the clutch one notch tighter and it does cam over stiffer than before, but the dis-engagement is still an issue. It just seems there is slack some where it's not needed.

Thanks

My 12ck has a similar issue, it appears to be the culmination of a little slop in each joint of the clutch linkage. I've considered bushing the pivots and shimming the slide to reduce lost motion, but it's easier to just pull up on the handle.

Well, it turned I was missing an 1/8" washer that sits behind the tapered cone that's on the end of the drawbar. Built a new washer and it works like a 67 year old monarch should work.
I also pulled the clutch disks out and cleaned out all the old caked in grease from people over greasing the bearing. A pump of grease every couple months is good enough.
Thanks for the replies.
washer.jpg

Well, it turned I was missing an 1/8" washer that sits behind the tapered cone that's on the end of the drawbar. Built a new washer and it works like a 67 year old monarch should work.
I also pulled the clutch disks out and cleaned out all the old caked in grease from people over greasing the bearing. A pump of grease every couple months is good enough.
Thanks for the replies.
View attachment 209915

Are you talking about washer shown on your picture? It stays at the vertex end of the cone, right?

P.S. By the way, Monarch recommends lubricating the sheave bearings only once a year.

I finally got a hold of Scott at Monarch and he told me what to look for.

Yes, it is the washer on the end of the shaft and the cone goes over it.

Thanks

Thank you. I need to check if mine has one. My Ser.60 has a similar problem, but I couldn't detect rollers interfering with the cone after disengagement. Maybe I didn't look close enough.

So yours now works every single time or still has the problem occasionally?

So far it's working perfectly! It will dis-engage nicely and I can now make use of the brake.

Make sure the clutch pack is clean as well. Mine was really gummed up.

Back