What's new
What's new

Modular Tubes Questions

John S01

Aluminum
1. The C3J tube (small one between the two C16Js) is attached to the tube board with a white cap (from the tube top). I have seen pictures in the archives of this forum that show it is hard wired into the tube. I have seen posts of “My C3J socket has come loose” with a wire still connecting the tube to the board with a loose socket in between. My question is, Is the socket a permanent part of the tube, or is it something to be purchased separately? I have bought a C3J backup tube, but there is no socket attached. I am thinking, if I buy the socket separately, how does this match up with the pictures of tubes that have been wired to the board. In other words, why can’t I just yank the ceramic socket off the old C3J tube and pop it on the new tube?

2. I have read that some have substituted a C6J tube for a C16J tube in some 10ees. There are two wires coming out of the top of the C16J, but the C6Js that I have seen have a single metal cap at the top of the tube. Are the two wires coming from the top of the C16J tube supposed to be attached to the same metal cap (not capacitor, but metal hat on the top of the C6J as in C6J / 5C21 RCA Industrial Tube NOS NIB Test Strong (More Available | eBay )?

Thanks for helping.

John

Well, I helped myself. I figured out the two wires coming out of the top of each C16J tube converge into a single wire.

And for the C3J, the ceramic socket is part of the lathe wiring. The picture I had seen before was of the metal cap that had come lose from the top of the tube.

John

I believe I once computed that the C6J has enough capacity (in Amps, not in Farads) for a 3 HP motor, but not a 5 HP motor.

The C6J has about the same filament consumption, hence about the same emission, as the C16J.

Tubesandmore.com sells sockets for C6Js, although they need a little reworking because of slight pin diameter differences.

The same folks sell ceramic anode caps.

From tubesandmore.com ...

1) jumbo tube socket P/N P-ST4-192X $7.95 to $11.95 (double check dimensions, and remember one pin contact must be resized)

2) ceramic anode cap P/N P-SG11X $1.95 to $2.95 (again, double check dimensions)

Alas, they no longer have C6J tubes.

From tubesandmore.com ...

1) jumbo tube socket P/N P-ST4-192X $7.95 to $11.95 (double check dimensions, and remember one pin contact must be resized)

2) ceramic anode cap P/N P-SG11X $1.95 to $2.95 (again, double check dimensions)

Alas, they no longer have C6J tubes.
I have two one National and one GE.

In comparing the C16J to the C6J, I think it's no coincidence about the way their numbers were selected.

The C16J is rated at 16A average plate current
The C6J is rated at 6 A average plate current

Is 6A enough? I suppose it might be worth experimenting, if you just wanted to tinker at it, but as a matter of sound design practice, you'd have been laughed out of Sidney for proposing that...

Back