What's new
What's new

Monarch 10ee Gearbox/feed shaft

bdmoto26

Plastic
I have a 1963 Modular drive 10ee. I was adjusting the feed belt on my 10ee. While adjusting the belt, I noticed that the feed shaft was moving in and out in the axial direction. I verified that the pulley was tight and determined that the pulley wasn't moving on the shaft. I placed a indicator on the feed shaft itself and determined that the shaft was moving 015". It's like the feed shaft had .015" axial thrust. I'm assuming that the feed shaft shouldn't move in the axial direction, but could someone please verify this. The feed shaft appears to turn freely and it's doesn't make any noises when I run the lathe. I would really appreciate some members suggestions? Is this something that's common or is this something I need to address by replacing the feed shaft bearings? I really appreciate everyone's help on this forum.
Thanks
Bdmoto26

I have a 1963 Modular drive 10ee. I was adjusting the feed belt on my 10ee. While adjusting the belt, I noticed that the feed shaft was moving in and out in the axial direction. I verified that the pulley was tight and determined that the pulley wasn't moving on the shaft. I placed a indicator on the feed shaft itself and determined that the shaft was moving 015". It's like the feed shaft had .015" axial thrust. I'm assuming that the feed shaft shouldn't move in the axial direction, but could someone please verify this. The feed shaft appears to turn freely and it's doesn't make any noises when I run the lathe. I would really appreciate some members suggestions? Is this something that's common or is this something I need to address by replacing the feed shaft bearings? I really appreciate everyone's help on this forum.
Thanks
Bdmoto26
If you're talking about the feed-rod which runs from the output of the gearbox to the apron, then yes, some are designed to move laterally. Some machines were fitted with a feed-rod clutch near the gearbox. There was also a movable collar that could be clamped to the feed-rod with a setscrew. You could set the collar to disengage the clutch and stop the carriage from feeding to the left when the apron came in contact with the collar. It's something you would use in a production environment, to keep the operator from accidentally feeding the toolpost (or whatever) into the chuck. Most people don't know what the collar is for and it just sits parked on the left end of the feed rod where it will never actuate the clutch.

If you post a photo of the headstock end of your feed rod I can tell for sure if your machine has the clutch.

Cal

Hi Cal, Thanks for the response. It's shaft/pulley that comes out the back of the gearbox. It's the shaft/pulley that is turned by the feed belt. I'll try to attach some photos. Let me know if you can't view the pictures. Thanks
1.jpg6.jpg2.jpg8.jpg

I had to try several times to get the pictures to upload. If you look at the first and second pictures from the post above, The indicator is on the shaft that is moving. The shaft will move in/out .015". Thanks again for the reply.

If you follow that shaft through the gearbox all you have to retain it are the bearings and their preload. I don't expect that those are precision bearings and so replacement might be in order, but if you're not hearing much and there's little to no axial play I'd be inclined to ignore the minor motion. (Apologies for the odd image, it was assembled from a couple others so there's a little ghosting visible)

10ee_gearbox_input.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I would like to replace the bearings, but I might just keep an eye on the shaft to see if it gets any worse. If the shaft gets worse, I'll end up replacing the bearings. I do have a couple questions.

1) Does anyone know what type of bearings these are? My Monarch manual says part# 669-22 and 662-9.

2) Does anyone know why the gearbox would have a hole cut in it? (See Picture)

123.jpg123.jpg3333.jpg2222.jpg

No idea why a hole would be cut in the gearbox - doesn't that simply pass through a flange and not into the gearbox proper? If that's the case maybe they hung something from it.

BTW: your images are *tiny* and close to simple thumbnails.

That's correct. The hole in the gearbox doesn't affect anything. I've just always wondered why it was there.

That hole lines up with the oil fill port of the gearbox. Mine has a screw cap on the port, but if it was a flip top it could be filled without removing the cover.

If the cover was a bolt on with the collet handle then it would make sense, otherwise no guess.

Back