What's new
What's new

Monarch 10ee square dial elect prob

Flightmap

Plastic
I have just acquired a 1963 ELSR 10ee. Ran perfect at the PO shop, and the first try in my shop. The second attempt (a day later) it would not turn.

The Monarch book I have says that:
"main contractor closes but the spindle will not revolve when the spindle control lever is placed in the forward or reverse position. Forward or reverse contactor not closing"
Also, the fan runs, and the green light comes on after about a minute delay.

Then:
"1. EL16 tube is defective
2. 1 ampere fuse on D.C. Panel open
3. Overload relay on D.C. Panel open
5. "

Additionally, the back gear electical interlock will not retract

Dealing with only the first three "solutions", I need to know where the EL16 tube is, and where the fuse and relay are.

I Am using what I think is a simplified schematic diagram from the same book, and I see no reference to either of these parts. Though there is a ELIC tube near the spindle inter lock circuit. The schematic on the doors is beyond my comprehension.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Check the spindle lock is off - Rotate spindle to check.
Make sure spindle speed knob is not turned all the way counter clockwise.
Are the tubes lighting up?

Thanks for all your replies

I forgot to say that I put all the levers in neutral, the ELSR in RH, and the spindle lock out. My apologies.

i may be focused on the wrong area, but the Back Gear interlock and the tube occupy my attention

The forward/reverse lever was used with the speed dial and no joy!

Since everything was working, and now it isn't , I would suspect a tube. Take all those tubes down to your local Radio Shack, and use their tube tester in the back....oh wait.... never mind. Really the only thing is to go and buy a selection of spare tubes, most except the big C16J's are not expensive, (last time I looked) and start replacing one on one. Is yours a WIAD or Modular, I never remember when they changed over?

Yes, mine is a modular design with only three tubes (I thought). May have to wait for the actual operating book from Monarch. Just thought someone here might have already been through the problem. I liked your reference to Radio Shack...another one bites the dust, or nearly so.

I have a Modular schematic and I have looked at it If your forward Reverse contractors are not working YOU are chasing the wrong tail by looking at the tubes look in your ELSR area the tubes have nothing to do with the forward reverse contractors.Check your Anti plugging relay it may be stuck.

Problem solved: patience

After several phone calls, the jist of which was PATIENCE!!!!, I got the lathe running.

The summary was: start the lathe and listen for the fan motor, find a small project to work on (maybe 10 minutes but NOT on this lathe), come back to the lathe and push the green button and notice the "click". The lathe ran just fine. Looks like my lack of patience was my down fall again. Thanks to all who read this thread, and doubly to all who responded.

After several phone calls, the jist of which was PATIENCE!!!!, I got the lathe running.

The summary was: start the lathe and listen for the fan motor, find a small project to work on (maybe 10 minutes but NOT on this lathe), come back to the lathe and push the green button and notice the "click". The lathe ran just fine. Looks like my lack of patience was my down fall again. Thanks to all who read this thread, and doubly to all who responded.

It sounds like your tube heating timer is on the way out. It's supposed to be a 60 second timer to let the C16J heaters get up to temp but can fail. It's a NO switch that closes 60 seconds after control power comes up - the green button should have a bulb in it (or near it) to come on when the switch closes. I'm not sure how you're recognize it, might have to trace some wires to track it down.

I don't know about the Modular but on the Wiad, the timer tube is a little short solid black tube. Very different from the rest. These are cheap and available.

I don't know about the Modular but on the Wiad, the timer tube is a little short solid black tube. Very different from the rest. These are cheap and available.

Not a tube in the modular drive, a 6NO60 in the WiaD. I recall Harry had trouble with it and it might have been a black module screwed to the top of the contactor cabinet, but I'm no where near sure of it.

There are inexpensive digital replacements available.

Many thanks for the heads up. If someone knows for sure where the timer/switch is, it would be great to know

Post a picture of the contactor panel in the front of the lathe. There are some differences but it might be the relay looking thing in the lower left just to the right of the 2 transformers (assuming that you have that model of panel where the fwd/rev contactor is center top left). If your fwd/rev contactor is top right the 1TR timer should be level to and left of the contactor above a short screw strip. In both models the 1TR and 2TR timers are next to one another, the 1TR is the tube heater timer and the 2TR shuts off field after some time of inactivity.

Direct replacements are scarce and expensive but folks have adapted others to fill it in.

Back