What's new
What's new

Monarch 10ee threading problem

david5411

Plastic
Hi,
I have a 1945 round dial ELSR Monarch 10ee that has a threading problem. Everything else work fine. Leadscrew turns normally when knob is in "feeds" position. When turned to "threads" position it struggles to engage. When the knob does engage, leadscrew will not turn. I checked the gear train and everything looks fine. When the leadscrew is manually turned, the gear train moves as it should and all 4 gears are properly engaged.

I read the thread:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/monarch-10ee-threading-284027/
but this does not seem to be the problem.

My fear is that there is a problem in the gearbox and I am not looking forward to taking it apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
David

"This" in that thread was THREE 'possible' problems.

Before opening-up the gearbox, please make certain that you have ruled-out ALL of them.

One of them does at least 'prefer' that you pull the top-cover casting and the sheet-steel windage tray just under it ('many' Allen-head machine screws, but nothing complicated nor hard to put back right) so you can lay Mark One Eyeball on the expected behaviour of shifter fork and FWD-IDLE-REV dog clutches that are meant to be engaged ONLY when threading.

If those are NOT 'right', there are at least two threads on PM as to what can be awry, and what it takes to make them 'right' again.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestion. I pulled off the tray and found that the spindle clutch fork seems to have disappeared. I saw a piece of it and tried to pull it out, but it slipped from the pliers and disappeared. So can't tell if it is broken or just came unscrewed.

When the spindle clutch is manually engaged the leadscrew does turn.

Thanks for the suggestion. I pulled off the tray and found that the spindle clutch fork seems to have disappeared. I saw a piece of it and tried to pull it out, but it slipped from the pliers and disappeared. So can't tell if it is broken or just came unscrewed.

When the spindle clutch is manually engaged the leadscrew does turn.

Glad it was helpful. Much sadder to hear that is the problem, as it is a RBK to work in there.

Suggest draining the lube so you can SEE if the fork casting is lunched. As it is on a rod with rack teeth it can lose 'register', but cannot exactly 'fall' off. Expect it to be cracked. If so, you'll probably want to:

A) Put put out a call for a usable one - Monarch or PM community.

B) Study-up on pulling the spindle. I'm trying to avoid that meself when I gets to swapping in the used-but-more-nearly-new fork for one badly worn lopsided.

That said, it is probably wiser to bite the bullet, if only because there is likely to be damaging debris that will be the Devil's own job to get entirely out even if fork and relatives WERE easy to swap. Which they are not.

Bill

Thanks to both. Will get in touch with mynah.

I guess I will have to gird my loins and pull it apart. Don't know what Monarch wants for one, but guessing it might be cheaper to find another used 10ee than purchase the part :)

Wish me luck.

Thanks to both. Will get in touch with mynah.

I guess I will have to gird my loins and pull it apart. Don't know what Monarch wants for one, but guessing it might be cheaper to find another used 10ee than purchase the part :)

Wish me luck.

Depends. AFAICS, they charge no more than any other shop - PM members as good an example as any other - that would have to make 70+ year-old unobtanium from blueprints.

Monarch Machine Tool, AFAIK, didn't do [all | most | any] of their OWN casting, even 'back in the day'. A top-end local foundry did it for them.

Monarch Lathe LP of the present era may even still have the pattern and a(nother) foundry on-tap..

They may even have one or more used-but-good forks to-hand.

Cheap enough to at least ask..

Bill

I can't guess what the price of that particular item might be but definitely call Monarch and ask. They have always been very helpful for me and for the parts that I've needed I've been pleasantly surprised with their prices.

Don't forget to ask if they have one used. My experience there is that their concept of used but OK is very close to my concept of new.

Don't forget to ask if they have one used. My experience there is that their concept of used but OK is very close to my concept of new.

Indeed. I needed the entire A/B selector knob and shaft assembly, and they sold me a "used" one for only $50. I'm a very happy camper.

Alan

Back