What's new
What's new

Monarch 12"CK???

slufkin

Aluminum
I was sent a few pictures of a Monarch lathe the other day The guy says I can have it fir scrap value if I want it. It looks to be in pretty OK shape, definately should not go to scrap, but the guy has no use for a lathe (cleaning out an old shop for a widow).
The plate says
Catalog Model & Size: 12"CK
Swing 14.5"
Distance between centers: 30"
Mfgr's# 18353
Buyers Machine # FOCI 3411
Date Built: 8-1942

Anyone know anything about them? Good, bad or interesting?
It has a three jaw on it, and some sort of turret toolpost.
Any good guess's as to its weight? I would make him an offer based on scrap weight if I knew.
Any problem spots I should look at specifically?
I would appreciate any advice, this is my first lathe (at home).

Anyone know anything about them? Good, bad or interesting?

The best of them - assuming of course 66 years and a long string of ignorant owners/operators hasn't made it an "old gentleman in reduced circumstances"

12 X 30 is probably around 3000 with the chuck

John Oder

A search of this forum will turn up more on them. Well regarded lathes, major complaint being low top end speeds. Somewhat solvable.

With the big chuck on mine, it's the heaviest 3500#'s I've ever handled. Definitely well over 3000#.

It's my best all around lathe, and would be the last to leave my personal shop. The other 2 are a Monarch 10EE and a Hendey T&G. Better lathes within their envelopes, but the little Monarch gearhead comes closest to does it all status for me. YMMV.

If you can buy it under $300 and there's life left in it, I'd start loading now and rationalize it later...

Rob

Thanks guys.
I hope to have a look at it in person this weekend. I think I can see it run, as the guy has a converter there I can plug it in to (gunna try to land that too). I guess he has some other stuff he wants gone too.
Anyone near Upstate NY and looking to aquire anything? I remember mention of a smaller lathe, a Pantograph<sp> of some sort. An old EDM, some sort of Mill/Drill, some heavy woodworking tools. I will get more info when I go see him. right now I am hearing it all thru a middle man.

Upstate NY is a big place. I am always interested in hearing things available- I am in the Saratoga Springs area. Wood and Metal machines are both of interest.

Pete

"Does anybody know what voltage this model and age of machine runs on?"

Monarch usually gives you two choices: 460 or 230, but 575 is also known.

460 may be converted to 230 (if the starter is large enough), and 230 may be converted to 460 (the starter will be large enough in this case).

I have one of the same year. The weight on the plate says 3800 lbs. No mention of the motor. Mine is running on 208 three phase.

Cheers,
Jim

Bought this lathe

Funny story. I thought the thing was sold to someone else until just the other day. The guy called me to see if I still wanted it, the other buyer was a no show. I offered $300 and he said OK.
Thing comes with a Phase-A-Matic Rotary phase converter! He is having his guy wire up a plug so I can hear it run. I will get it this weekend as long as there is nothing unexpected about it.

I will be looking for any attachments yall might have laying around. Also need some real chucks. It has a tiny little (6"??) 3 jaw on it now.

It's got a D1-6 spindle, so that you can be looking for chucks.
I've got a 10" 4 jaw, and 8" 3 & 6 jaw chucks for mine. I've also tooled it with a CXA QCTP, steady and follow rests(I made the FR), plus TS tooling and a DRO.
I've also doubled the top speed to 1400 RPM, but I think 1200 would be a better choice, by changing the motor pulley, and increased the HP from 3 to 5.
It's a little close to the ground, I'm 5'9" and I had to jack it up a couple of inches, and it's still too short.
These are excellent machines, and I think you will enjoy using it.
Harry

Thanks for the info Beckley23.
Any chance you could send me pics of your homemade follower rest?

I am 6'4" and would normally raise the machine, but my 12 year old is pretty excited about making his own tractor parts, so I guess I will have to hunch when I run it. I hate to make him stand on something, it seems kinda unsafe.

Thanks Beckley, but for some reason I can only see pictures that are Attached Thumbnails. I have no idea why. Any chance you can put them up that way for me?

fr13-1.jpg

I'm afraid that post appears completely empty to me. Not sure why, but the only immages I can see are "Attached Thumbnails". I do not know how to attach them, perhaps someone else can jump in here. I would love to know how to fix my end, I miss out on a lot of photos.

Back