What's new
What's new

Atlas Milling attachment to my 10ee??

buckeye

Plastic
Has anyone ever bumped into a milling attachment for a 10ee? The ee would be a good lathe for the job because it has the bearings underneath the ways to help deal with the cutting forces generated by a milling operation (wich may sometimes be up and not into the bed).

Ive seen a few Atlas attachments, but I'm confused as to how they mount. I assume the compound comes off and the swivel bolts mount the attachment to the cross slide? If so, has anyone ever successfully mated an atlas attachment to their 10ee???

Thanks

Has anyone ever bumped into a milling attachment for a 10ee? The ee would be a good lathe for the job because it has the bearings underneath the ways to help deal with the cutting forces generated by a milling operation (wich may sometimes be up and not into the bed).

I've never seen one of the type you're asking about made.

Ive seen a few Atlas attachments, but I'm confused as to how they mount. I assume the compound comes off and the swivel bolts mount the attachment to the cross slide? If so, has anyone ever successfully mated an atlas attachment to their 10ee???

No way, the attachment is way too light and the compound mount is very different. You'd have to make some sort of an adapter and by then the attachment would likely be too high.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! If you are out in the jungle and all you have is a 10EE and a milling attachment, go for it. I cut my teeth on a South Bend 9A with milling attachment. In their design, the attachment replaced the compound. The setup was a rigid as a limp noodle, but I succeeded in making my first steam engine in 8th grade using it. Palmgren sold an attachment in a range of sizes that hung off the compound. They had a fork arrangement that straddled the rocker toolpost and was clamped by a bar running through a slot in the toolpost.

I've seen folks use an Aloris style toolpost for simple milling jobs, simply by clamping the work in place of a tool. They used the knurled height adjuster to set the cut, then locked the toolpost and milled away.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Those Palmgrens would work pretty good on an EE.
I do some limited milling on my manufacturing model EE, using a rigged up angle plate to replace the top slide, with a simple Hardinge index 5c head.
It works pretty good, much better then the old SB or Atlas bench lathes could do.
Its an option, when other machines are tied up.

The "gold standard" is probably the "Versa-Mill".

I have seen war-surplus Vera-Mills. Excellent products in every respect.

Even came in a olive-drab wooden fitted case with EVERY option and a MIL-Spec part number!.

Alas, the one which I was offered was missing one of its dividing head wheels, so I passed on it.

Stupid me!

It would have taken almost no effort at all to duplicate the missing wheel using my Ellis-clone dividing head.

Back