What's new
What's new

Monarch 13EE (Model 1000)

piedtyper

Plastic
Hello,

I'm a member of the board for a. It for profit maker/hackerspace in Alberta Canada. We have the opportunity to pick up a donation of a 13EE (15.5" swing and 30" between centers),

From my research and from discussions with Monarch I aware this is a great old lathe. Very capable, precise etc etc.

It doesn't have any of the electronics or drive but the plan would be to put in a vector duty motor and a VFD. That part should be easy.

The problem is gearing. I believe the quick change gearbox is either Imperial or Metric. Currently it has imperial gears in it. Monarch has gotten back to me with an estimate of 15-20k USD for the 10 gears.

If we want the ability to cut metric threads (this is Canada and as a diverse group of hobbyists I think that's close to a must have) are there any other options? We simply can't spend that sort of money on the gearing.

If we know the geometry and tooth counts for the gears could we have them made? (The local polytechnic might be able to help us out by cutting gears).

Any advice or comments are welcomed. To say I'm out of my depth on this would be an understatement!

Thanks in advance.

The problem is gearing. I believe the quick change gearbox is either Imperial or Metric. Currently it has imperial gears in it. Monarch has gotten back to me with an estimate of 15-20k USD for the 10 gears.

If we want the ability to cut metric threads (this is Canada and as a diverse group of hobbyists I think that's close to a must have) are there any other options? We simply can't spend that sort of money on the gearing.

If we know the geometry and tooth counts for the gears could we have them made? (The local polytechnic might be able to help us out by cutting gears).

The cheapest and - IMNSHO absolute BEST way to provide for Metric working is to simply put another inexpensive, used, all-metric lathe alongside the 'inch' one and alter neither one of them.

Not only will threading 'match', so will feed dials and everything else, and at no extra cost for transposing gears, nor need of mental gymnastics.

Price that option out.

It's a wonderful lathe. Heavy duty, precise and will last a long time. I do not think it's a good lathe for random people of various experience in machining. Most places like that have cheaper machines as parts are relatively inexpensive and available. This machine is not forgiving. If you crash it it will break whatever it can. I'd get it and trade it for something more useful for your application. Or even sell it. Many members here would love to own that machine as it's a very rare beast indeed. Ive seen machines go to schools that are very expensive machines, and we're crashed by students or instructors. Rendering the machine useless as the repairs would be too much for a school to handle. I'd love to own that machine. Good luck, if you decide it's not the machine for you, please try and give it a good home to a forum member. I know of someone who's retrofitted 2 1000ees with vfds.

I might be wrong but does not htis drive have complexities that cannot be easily replaced with modern electronics, things worked into it....CSS or something...maybe more?

What you want is something like an 8000 series square head clausing colchester. Big spindle hole, d1-8, shift lever to switch to metric pitch and back again. I love the monarchs but they are plagued by small through holes for the largest part.

I might be wrong but does not htis drive have complexities that cannot be easily replaced with modern electronics, things worked into it....CSS or something...maybe more?

Easy as Pi if one has 3-Phase to feed any of many still-shipping 3-Phase-only DC Drives for its original DC motor. Only slightly harder to do that with 1-P DC Drives.

Same again with new 3-P motor and a stout VFD, 3-phase easy, de-rate or purpose built for single-phase next.

'Hard' is only if one still had the DC motor (he does not) AND wished to restore the original DC Drive, rather than replace it. They were more complex than the smaller 10EE drives, and 3-Phase-only critters, too "As Far As I Know". Also no point in doing that as modern DC Drives are cheaper as well as better.

This one shouts "VFD me" largely because suitable Dee Cee motors are not readily found.

Bill

Back