What's new
What's new

Monarch 14C motor

osborne77

Plastic
Looking for some info. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Looking at a Monarch 14C. Someone has changed the motor. It has an 8 hp single phase on it which is bad. What I would like to know is what RPM and what frame size motor would have been on this lathe. I'm pretty sure it would have been A 7.5 hp. Wanting to price the right replacement motor before I make a deal on this lathe. Thanks in advance.

It would be an obsolete frame size. In my 1980 MHB, a 7 1/2 1200 RPM would have been a 254T frame and the 1800 would have been 213T

Neither of these may be what the mounting plate is drilled for since a 14C could easily be 80 years old - with larger frame size motor

So any frame size should do. Probably gonna have to drill the mount or make a new one anyways. What about the RPM. Somewhere around the 1200 range. I thought I read somewhere it would have been 1150 originally.

What about the RPM. Somewhere around the 1200 range. I thought I read somewhere it would have been 1150 originally.

Sounds right. If motor pulley is original you can take clutch pulley OD and motor pulley OD and see what about the ratio would be and see what motor RPM gets close to the posted input pulley RPM

Say, for instance, the input pulley speed is said to be 500 and the motor pulley was 4" OD and the clutch or input pulley was 10" - you would calculate a motor speed of 1250

Input pulley speed is often part of info on spindle speed chart

Ok thanks. I'm gonna look around and see what motors are available. This thing hasn't ran in 27 years. Got a lot of dust and dirt on it. Looks to be in really nice shape tho. Under the 27 years of crud. Any ideal what it's worth?? It's 102 centers. It is missing the motor and clutch cover tho.

Back