What's new
What's new

monarch 18" lathe modle BB without acme thread, or half nut

oskie

Plastic
I have an old Monarch model BB lathe that has the gearbox for thread cutting, but doesn't have the acme thread or half nut. I was wondering if it would be possible to add this to the lathe. I saved it from the scrap yard and really would like to be able to cut threads. I have no idea what is on the end of the acme thread that does into the gearbox. I assume I can find a halfnut somewhere but not sure if this is doable or not. According to Monarch the lathe was ordered that way from them back in the 40's. Any help would be appreciated.

It would be far less involved to replace lathe

You would need yours apart to see whats what

Then you would need a donor machine apart - either to actually take away its parts, of just reverse engineer them on your ever handy sketch pad

I have an old Monarch model BB lathe that has the gearbox for thread cutting, but doesn't have the acme thread or half nut. I was wondering if it would be possible to add this to the lathe. I saved it from the scrap yard and really would like to be able to cut threads. I have no idea what is on the end of the acme thread that does into the gearbox. I assume I can find a halfnut somewhere but not sure if this is doable or not. According to Monarch the lathe was ordered that way from them back in the 40's. Any help would be appreciated.

If.. Monarch shipped 'a' gearbox for surfacing-only, no leadscrew... they MAY have left-out other parts. I don't ken the 'BB' but on a 10EE, there are separate input gears and dog clutches for threading vs surfacing.

On MOST dual-use lathes there is also an interlock in the apron to prevent half-nuts and surfacing drive being engaged at the same time.

You need to check those ancillary items first.

THEN.. DIY'ing leadscrew from stock threaded material is not hard. Only expensive. Potentially costlier than the lathe has been so far.

You would also need the outboard support for the leadscrew, the half-nuts and their support and actuator bits, a thread-dial mechanism...

Not as simple as just what is in-your-face visible and obvious.

Cheaper and more universal to buy more taps and dies, tapping head, rig a die-holder to power-thread on the lathe without need of a leadscrew. Should cover 95% of typical needs, if not more... AND ... is inch, metric, BA, Whitworth.... wotever taps and dies you have or can get.

Bill

Sounds like buying a smaller lathe with thread capability is the way to go, Ill use the bigger lathe for turning bigger stuff. Thanks for the comments.

Sounds like buying a smaller lathe with thread capability is the way to go, Ill use the bigger lathe for turning bigger stuff. Thanks for the comments.

Depends. Might be cheaper to send some work out now and then rather than harbour another lathe yerself.

Bill

Back