What's new
What's new

Monarch 27"N value ?

tfuquajr

Aluminum
Found this the other day and I am going to try to bring it home tomorrow here are some pics let me know what y'all think
it might be worth ?
IMG_0476.jpgIMG_0477.jpgIMG_0478.jpg

OK I guess no one wants to guess what its worth fair enough.
But I have not got a real good look at how this one works does the main motor run the head and the saddle or does it have 2 motors on the machine ?
I will start searching and researching about this one will hopefully get it home on Monday.

Its a big simple machine - motor in base, clutch is part of input pulley to head stock

Shafts down front of bed are lead screw, feed rod and clutch control rod

Like other simple lathes, the head stock drives a train of gears down left end to QC gear box for selecting differing feeds and threads - you select between feeds and threads at right end of QC box

Extra motor if coolant pump

Maybe another if rapid traverse

Its just a bigger heavier version of this. All those gears have to be in first class condition

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/Monarch/DCP_0829.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/Monarch/DCP_0830.jpg

Such things have no value until there is a customer that just have to have it. It got into the scrap yard because there was no customer wanting it. :D

Six months back there was a CREAM PUFF 27N on CL in the Reno NV area listed at $6500. The listing expired. Maybe it moved out at a fraction of that. Maybe it just went to scrap.

OK I guess no one wants to guess what its worth fair enough.
But I have not got a real good look at how this one works does the main motor run the head and the saddle or does it have 2 motors on the machine ?
I will start searching and researching about this one will hopefully get it home on Monday.

John You are a wealth of knowledge and I truly appreciate your sharing of your knowledge with the rest of us :)
Thanks again.

I picked on up a couple of years ago just for the steady rest. 450.00 I finally got around to find the problem why the one shifter would not stay in gear, It is the gear in Ox's second picture at the right end of the scale that is the problem. I pulled the middle shaft and found a pin sheared off allowing the gear to move too far and fall out of position. I still have to get back at it to fix it.

John

I saw a really nice 24n go for like $2250 in washington. Ways didn't have any scoring and everything seemed to operate properly. There was also a really nice american pacemaker with a 32" swing I think go for $4200. Oh and what bothered me was I got outbid on a sag 17 with tons of tooling and it sold for like $4500.

Sounds good,I hope to have it home tomorrow.Ive got about 1K in it so I think I did good ? Will know soon :D

I have to humbly disagree(im pretty new to the machinery scene), I think there's value, its just that there's more initial cost(money and TIME to actually "getting" it) than perceived opportunity value, that wont be put to use by most. so value goes down to almost nothing but if it was say advertised with delivery....way more demand. even without though if its low enough someone will get it.

Got my Monarch 27N home only cost me 2 tires and 1 rim for my trailer ! not sure what it weighs the guy I bought it from said about 9K ?
I'm thinking maybe a little over 15K ? My tractor can pick 6K it will squat a little and threaten to tip over'just have to move real slow with no sudden moves or it will tip for sure with 6K.
The last person to move the machine was kinda of rough on her I have several broken pirces I will have to replace I plan to make all my replacement parts unless someone knows where I can get a deal on them somewhere. I have a few pics of whats was damaged.
002.jpg004.jpg005.jpg001.jpg

Got the Monarch unloaded today it was a big project. I removed the head,tailstock,center rest and about 100# or more of chips and still had a hard time with it. Basically I drug it off the back of the trailer picked up one end and drove the trailer out from under it. It is now waiting patiently in the yard for me to get the concrete in the shop to get it set up.
Might be another month before I can make any chips with it.

lol negative mine is only 60" between centers and its 8t.... so id guess at least another 2 real tonnes maybe.

Back