What's new
What's new

Monarch BEAST!!!

glenbjackson

Aluminum
Monarch model 27N BEAST!!!

Ok so heres my story on how i acquired my first lathe... I mean lathes!!! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly: You know how when you hear a new word then all of a sudden you hear it often...The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. Well I could not for the life of me find a big enough lathe for my custom flywheel at a good price. I was being cheap, then kept finding these things aren't cheap. So I kept upping my price still to no avail. Until last month found one on acceleratedbuysell.com. A model 24N monarch :-) 36" swing for a great price, $1700, bought it!!! While up there also acquired a Rockland 19” for $350 smh and while buying tooling for them was sold a craftsman 6" for $40!! Lol yeah crazy, couldn't find one now I got too many.
It was a hand FULL getting it in this storage unit. But paid a forklift repair company and we got it in there.
Some stats;
16,000lbs
swing over carriage; 27
swing over bed; 36.5
between centers;60
chuck; 32"
spindle; d1-8
spindle bore; 3"
motor; 30hp
things I found interesting about this baby so far(ill add as I find them);
-while cleaning headstock the bull gear is 3" wide!!!
-prices for parts are insane
-the brake cone CAN be adjusted(remove set-screws, press brake cone off the brake plug a couple of mm and replace set-screws
-as well the clutch
-I absolutely LOVE the craftsmanship and ease of disassembly of older machines
-the Monarch company had GREAT customer service, as for my experience
-Regular motor oil CAN in fact be put in here there are metal placards stating just that.

Monarch 36.5" swing smh

funny you say that I actually did dent my Wrangler pushing the Rockland to the back. had to rush I was paying for the forklift. moving the monarch wasn't as bad as you'd think, it weighing what it does, i used round stock and a rail-crowbar after they got it IN and on the slab.
if y'all have any questions or what pics of a certain area let me know, ill show what I can.

That is an ugly looking beast. But the lathe looks nice. ;) :D:D

Ha ha flippin ha ....I gotta get her running. The owner demonstrated it while it was hooked up, very quiet!! Gave me a run down, showed me all the tooling that came with it and seemed quite happy it was going to someone that was so enthusiastic about her. Later on, after walking around checking out all the other lots and lathes I missed out on, I asked him which lathe was his favorite. He pointed her out.

"room" is a word I have to look up in the dictionary now-a-days.

quasi, you maybe looking at the wrong pics. my space is the one with the car in the picture. im not even sure i'll be able to drive it out once im done with the conversion. converting her to manual 6-speed, an audi A8L :D:D:crazy: that's the whole reason I started looking for lathes and got into this situation. I have to turn a flywheel.

Just a tip no machinist puts anything on the ways, no steel no tools nothing, if anything does need to sit there a clean plyboard cover is put up first to protect the ways.
this includes loading parts that appear to be chucked up any adjusting is done with the board in place just in case something falls out or you drop the chuck key.
It saves a lot of dings which can ruin accuracy and just look bad in any case.

Its a good habit to have.

Just a tip no machinist puts anything on the ways, no steel no tools nothing, if anything does need to sit there a clean plyboard cover is put up first to protect the ways.
this includes loading parts that appear to be chucked up any adjusting is done with the board in place just in case something falls out or you drop the chuck key.
It saves a lot of dings which can ruin accuracy and just look bad in any case.

Its a good habit to have.

I agree! When I got there it was like that:willy_nilly::angry::bawling:. I immediately took them off and put them in the tray for shipment. The shipping company I hired, I made it so the trucker had to call me BEFORE he loaded, because I stressed that point to the hills to the trucker!!:codger:

heres the clutch disk on the lathe.
the clutch is adjustable. the plunger and the pivot plate disconnect and you can move them separately.

Awesome. Not long ago there was a 27N up here for less than scrap, 12' between centers. Kick myself almost daily for not making it happen.

long road ahead

Awesome. Not long ago there was a 27N up here for less than scrap, 12' between centers. Kick myself almost daily for not making it happen.
that's big!!
why :scratchchin: did :willy_nilly:you not :nutter: jump on that?? :mad5:
what happened to it?

are you guys interested in projects im doing with this lathe?
im converting a Audi a8l D2 from auto to 6-speed stick!!:crazy:
biggest undertaking is the transmission... after reading of the weakness of the 01E transmission, just with a naturally aspirated v8 hauling a small body(http://12v.org/urs/charlie_smith/01E/v8info/index.htm), there's no point in attempting the d2 body, even with it being aluminum.:nopity:
so my plan is to sacrifice a spare 01e front diff section get it ready for a mold at a local casting plant. Add clay where needed, draft, reference points, etc.... I'll have it poured in steel, yeah I know heavy but I figure once coupled with mid section and rear diff section it'll weight about the same as the auto in there now.
The monarch will be able to swing the casting.
ill face the front and rear to length, use the reference points on the mold to set the input shaft and with a template get the front bell housing bolt pattern. once I have those holes ill use a jig. Set the real 01e on the jig which goes into it at a couple of bell housing bolt holes AND the input shaft, center it on the lathe for the remaining rear holes and internal shafts(individually lllloooonnng and slow),remove the original from the jig, keeping jig in the chuck and put the casting on the jig. Then drill, true it by boring then ream it. Good thing is with the front diff section of the 01e all the bearing surfaces have an insert, so I might not even need to ream. finally once I have the front and back done ill make a large 90 degree angle jig and do same with side holes.
and then run it... easier typed than done :rolleyes:

Good grief, you have way more ambition than most! Good luck with it, and yeah, I for one would like to watch the progress.
Seems like you've given this some thought, and I'm certainly no expert with transmissions, but is there no way you could more simply strengthen the original casting? I've know guys who have welded up and gusseted known weak areas of motorcycle engine cases and such when building hi power motors on them, something like that maybe?

Your ideas might be the headline post for the "Impractical Machinist" forum, but dang, what a cool thing to do. Not only to envision doing, but to actually put in the effort and do it. Hats off to you. Please continue the updates.

You have an excellent lathe. A local shop had a couple of even bigger Monarchs. They use them for many years turning rotor shafts for car crushers. The only replaced them when the size of the work outgrew the size of those lathes.

Back