What's new
What's new

Monarch going to scrap yard- get parts while you can!!!

BLS

Plastic
Hello,

I have an old Monarch, 16 x 60- the only numbers I can find on the machine (Flat near tailstock) state: "VLot No: CW 9506". The bad news is that it was flopped 2 or 3 times before I got it, and they were supposed to put all the broken parts in the chip pan- but apparently that didn't happen (the pan was full of ice when I got it), so it's basically useless to me now- so I might as well scrap it. I did call Monarch, but I would have to sell my sons in order to pay for the replacement parts- so that's not an option. I thought I would offer it for parts here- and we can work out something more reasonable for what's left.
The headstock levers and all associated levers for the quick-change gearbox are busted, as well as the longitudinal hand-feed wheel, cross slide handle, compound rest handle, tailstock handle, etc. Just about everything has been snapped off, except for the small toggle levers on the apron. I'm told they flopped it not once but two or three times, and a brand-new ZTR mower cushioned the fall each time. It was nearly flattened by the encounter. I would like to have been there to see it.
Anyway, if you want parts or to come take a look at it, PM me. The machine wasn't in all that bad of shape prior to its acrobatic exercise. It was supposed to run, but the old timer said it wouldn't cut threads. The ways are decent, I can't pick anything up with my thumbnail near the headstock, etc. The tailstock might have a good enough spindle in it for your use, lead screw, half nut, cross slide screw/nut, etc. I know it sounds bad, and it is, but maybe one of you needs the one part that isn't broke on this machine, etc. Otherwise I'm going to strip the compound rest, shafting and random parts for building some other future project I'll never get around to and junk it. I just couldn't lay old victory iron to rest without giving you the option to pick it over first.
Regards.

+3...

Where is it located?

Before you relegate it to scrap, of COURSE someone might want parts... and...

Someone might want THE WHOLE THING. Just because it's been beat up and rolled, doesn't automatically mean it's done. We've dealt with damaged machines before. Men built them... that means men can FIX them...

I'm located in Williamsport, PA. I've never used this forum before and I don't have the Internet- just working from my phone. If I can figure out how to send photos, I'll do that. If you are close enough that you want to see it, pm your phone number and I'll just text you some photos or an address. The QCGB tumbler levers were broke off up inside, and no parts remain. The same is true for the feed reverse lever- just a stub sticking out and no parts. The headstock levers are probably the most promising to realign. The front two are intact, just missing the chrome balls- no big deal. The back two are broken a few inches above the hinge, and only one has the upper portion with the pin hole (broken off) but not lost altogether. The tail stock is intact and top clamp is not broken or bent. The tail stock hand feed wheel does not have a speed wheel/handle protruding from it, and the tail stock end cap is backed out a ways, and I'm not sure why, I did't mess with it yet. The only broken lever on the apron, now that I'm looking right at it, is the longitudinal hand feed wheel. The cross slide handle is bent Perpendicular to the axis of the screw, but it functions smoothly and the casting supporting it does not appear to have been damaged. There is no taper attachment or related equipment. I agree it's possible to fix anything, but this one presents some interesting challenges toward correctly aligning multiple gear sets. I was hoping to just put the parts back together and go- but half the stuff isn't there. I have 3 little kids, so I probably won't have the time for this one. If one of you does want the whole thing- that's wonderful, come get it, I'm not hard to deal with. I'm also looking for a Bridgeport head to put on an old K&T 2CH-maybe one of you has something that I can use for that purpose?
There is also a 3 jaw with soft jaws and t-slots, and a big 4 jaw chuck. I was going to keep those just in case I find another 16" lathe, but I guess everything is for sale, as they say.

I guess I just took the thought for granted thinking the stuff was just not to be had- but if any of you have the parts I need, I would certainly prefer to keep the machine and put it to work.
Thanks.

I may be able to put my hands on an older bridgeport, the head is probably still good. I would be interested in the complete tail stock and the two oil covers above the QCGB. I will look over my machine in the light tomorrow. I am in CA so shipping stuff back and forth may be $$$.

Rob

10/4, no internet access and really busy- will circle back next week, schedule opens up next tues. Maybe then I can get some photos out. Sorry for the inconvenience, just going 100mph and this is on the back burner...

Neighbors had a big barn fire, cleaning up the mess- will push this back another week. I'll try to get photos and find someplace where I can get online to post them to everybody. Thanks for your patience.

I took the cairrage and lead screw/feed rod , gearbox and tail stock off for parts in case any of you want some of it. I scrapped the bed and head. My number is sevenoneseven tree seex ate seeksoneseekstree. Call me and we can work out the details. I'm never online and the likelihood that I see your reply to this thread is slim. Just call and I can text photos or whatever will help you decide. Thanks, Brian

Because now that you typed it out as numbers, it is indexed by Google and other search engines, the very thing he was trying to avoid.

Well, lucky for me- in hastily trying to garble my number I messed up one of the digits (thank God- or I'd have to get a new number by now with all the spam I would have gotten). So if you want the parts, you can send me your number in a PM and I'll call you. If no bites, it goes to the boneyard I guess.
Dan- I have your contact info and I'll call you sometime this week.

I just bought a 16x30 in Mass have to go from AZ to MA some time soon planning to go end of september. I understand my lathe needs a little help in the cross feed/carriage area. Is missing steady rest and some of the taper attachment pieces. Would like to know more about your machine to see if any of these items would fit/work. Mine is a 16cy, and originally had a fellows attachment, which could have been a tracer. I could even be interested in the longer bed of your lathe. Thanks for your consideration.

Tim

Back