What's new
What's new

Monarch lathe

swollc

Plastic
Hi guys I'm new to this forum and was hoping I could get some help. I purchase a monarch 20x48 is what I believe it to be, the distance however from the chuck to the bottom is 11" so I think the swing would be 22.5 if that makes sense but I think they consider it a 20x48 model lathe 15hp and I wOuld like to get it up and running. I need some help on getting a tool post holder or something inexpensive to put a big boring bar in it, maybe a 1.25 or 1.5". Please see the pictures below and let me know any help Would be appreciated .
Mike

Check ebay for shars CA tool post set. I think i saw a set for $350

CA is good for 17-20" lathes

the DA size set will run $1800

Hi guys I'm new to this forum and was hoping I could get some help. I purchase a monarch 20x48 is what I believe it to be, the distance however from the chuck to the bottom is 11" so I think the swing would be 22.5 if that makes sense but I think they consider it a 20x48 model lathe 15hp and I wOuld like to get it up and running. I need some help on getting a tool post holder or something inexpensive to put a big boring bar in it, maybe a 1.25 or 1.5". Please see the pictures below and let me know any help Would be appreciated .
Mike

If I type fast enough I'll get this in before anyone else... It was a common convention among the higher end lathe builders to have the actual swing over the bed be 2 1/2 inches greater than the "nominal catalogue size". Most famously the Monarch 10EE (after the first few years of production) has a swing over the bed of 12 1/2 inches. Earliest ones had a swing over the bed of 12 inches.

David

Be sure to read the sticky, " Another new toy " - first thread on this forum. It has been invaluable with my Monarch 60. Yours is a late 60 or more likely a 61. Monarch did change some parts over the years so a correct manual is necessary. Without the exploded parts drawings, I would never get mine back together. Dave

Back