What's new
What's new

Monarch lathe ID

Judson

Plastic
Evening-

A friend has a 1958 Monarch lathe which he calls a "Model 80". One of four built and according to him only one other is now working. He purchased this one from Lawrence Livermore Lab in California. He told me that the person from Monarch who came to see it installed told him that he actually helped build this lathe, and again it was one of four built. It is one big, big lathe. He said that when he purchased it some time ago, it looked like it had only been used a very few times. He moved it into his large shop and tore it down and went throuh it and removed the old GE motor and installed a new 25 hp 3phase. I have some photos of it, but do not know how to download them. I know this is not the sales forum, but I want to ID the lathe as he is now selling his business and wishes to sell the lathe at a reall reasonable price if you want a monster. I would be glad to email pictures to anyone who may help ID the lathe.

Thanks

Can't see the photo: But the Series 80/81 was Monarch's penical of manual lathe design along with the Series 62 and the Series 90/91. These lathes were first introduced in 1955. The firs Series 80 sold was SN-404774-AT and there was over 300 built of all models.

I seen these for sale from $25K to $125K.

I did a quick search and found this: 27” x 96”cc MONARCH Series 80 Dyna-Shift Heavy Duty Engine Lathe, Model 2516X96

Max. swing over bed ways 27”
Max. swing over cross slide 16 ¼”
Hole through spindle 3 1/16”
Tailstock quill dia. 5 ¾”
Center size No.6M.T.
Spindle nose 8” D-1 Camlock
Bed width 22”
Compound rest top slide travel 6”
36 Spindle speeds 10-1250 RPM
48 feeds .003-.168 IPR
Thread range ½ to 28 T.P.I.
Rapid traverse rate 200 IPM