What's new
What's new

Monarch A Model?

dakota421

Plastic
I was given this lathe this past weekend. Everything runs on it and moves well just looks like it shouldn't. Set up for 120v, son in law and I are moving it in the coming weeks up to our shop. Don't know just how old it is but here are some pics. See if any of you can figure it out. We will do a rebuild on it in the coming months.

Oh yeah I'm a newbie to this forum.

John

Attachments

• IMG00153.jpg
    IMG00153.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG00154.jpg
    IMG00154.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG00155.jpg
    IMG00155.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG00156.jpg
    IMG00156.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG00157.jpg
    IMG00157.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 473
do you know what swing it is?

Model A were catalog size 14" and 16" swings over the bed
Model B were 18" and 20" swing over bed
Model D were all lathes 22" and over
Model E were 10" and 12" swings
other models were added in the 1920's.....

Monarch started building Model A in 1909, added quickchange gear box in 1912, and made several thousand of these lathes during WWI. By 1924 or so the apron got the cone clutches instead of star handles to engage the long. and cross feeds. And by 1926 Monarch was mainly making Helical geared headstocks.

It is most likely your machine was built between 1914 and 1919, because this was the period of largest production for Model A's.

Look between the ways on the bed at the tailstock end and see if you can read the lot number that was stamped there.

John

Hi John

The swing is 12" cannot find the stamped number until I can get it home and clean out the area.

Model E sounds like the match that you've laid out. There are some other particularities on this machine that I would like to know about. On the outside pulley there is a brake drum and brake lining.

10" 3 jaw chuck.

John

Not formiliar about this. You might want to also check out the Yahoo Monarch group. someone posted some assembly drawings of a Model E and other information.

John

John ...These machines were originally a line driven machine (leather belts from the ceiling in shops) but once they made the transition to individually powered units there were all kinds of adaptations. I have a "A" model myself which has a post bolt to the side of the bed and a the motor and eccentric locking pulley for the belt drive. I had seen the exact same setup on another old lathe that wasn't even a Monarch, so it probably was a "kit" they added later. I love this old machine and the fact it's about 100 years old and still doing the job! I'll try posting afew pic.s for you.

L1.jpg

This next one was the condition I found it.
latheold.jpg

...Good Luck with your machine! ...Mark

rebuild follow up

any more info on the rebuild?....TIA

Lou

I was given this lathe this past weekend. Everything runs on it and moves well just looks like it shouldn't. Set up for 120v, son in law and I are moving it in the coming weeks up to our shop. Don't know just how old it is but here are some pics. See if any of you can figure it out. We will do a rebuild on it in the coming months.

Oh yeah I'm a newbie to this forum.

John

Back