What's new
What's new

monarch rapid traverse question

Andy221

Cast Iron
Looked at a 61 today, the rapid on the cross slide makes a ratcheting sound and slips but, moves. Is there some adjustments in the rapid and/or is that an indication of a more serious problem.

Thank you,
Andy

It could be a clutch adjustment, how is the cross slide with hand feed? If the movement is free in the center of travel and slips on the ends, it likely is a clutch adjustment. The far ends of travel also build up swarf that inhibits rapid travel.

Steve

Thank you Steve.

It moves fine by hand. Slips the whole travel with rapid. Is the ratcheting noise while slipping normal?

Thank you Steve.

It moves fine by hand. Slips the whole travel with rapid. Is the ratcheting noise while slipping normal?

Andy,

The ratcheting noise is the clutch, both my 13EE and series 62 needed to be cleaned and exercised to go full travel. I have not adjusted the clutches on my lathes as they were only stopping short, no slip in the average range of motion. Oil or lack there of will play a big part in the cross feed travel.

Steve

I was looking at some other monarch 61's online and noticed that the one I went and looked at is missing this lever here. What is the function of the lever circled?

65pisi.jpg

That lever is the leadscrew reverse. You shaould have on the upper right side of the apron that does the same thing. You will like the apron mounted leadscrew reverse. See the "Another New Toy" sticky for the details, it's toward the end.
Harry

That lever is the leadscrew reverse. You shaould have on the upper right side of the apron that does the same thing. You will like the apron mounted leadscrew reverse. See the "Another New Toy" sticky for the details, it's toward the end.
Harry

Thank you Harry. Yep it sure does have the lever on the apron. I think you're right, i will like the leade screw reverse on the apron.

Overall it seems like good lathe. The bed has the obvious wear and One of the speeds make a little noise, not bad though. The top speed is only 700 which I wish was a little more. I'm not sure if I'm going to get it yet. Plus the price is pretty steep. Thanks for for the help.

Back