What's new
What's new

Monarch Round Dial Metric Treading plate

vettebob

Cast Iron
Monarch Round Dial Metric Threading plate

After about a month of back and forth e-mails with changes the threading plates are done. Here is a pic of the finished plate. It ended up costing $40. But the results are worth it.
004.jpg

Any one who wants one $43 shipped in the USA. Please let me know I had 8 made. Bob

Last edited:
After about a month of back and forth e-mails with changes the threading plates are done. Here is a pic of the finished plate. It ended up costing $40. But the results are worth it.
View attachment 159066

Any one who wants one $43 shipped in the USA. Please let me know I had 8 made. Bob

Well, I am almost ready to release the gears into the wild so I guess I better get one myself! Haha!

Speak with you shortly.

Bob,
I also would like one... please send payment instructions to email address.

tannewitz (at) yahoo dot (com)

John

I got mine on Thursday. Thanks Bob! Nice looking and easier to read than my round dial plate is. I was looking for a place to mount it on the lathe, but the only flat place that is large enough for it to sit in is too low, just above the Monarch name there on the base. The one pic I have of one mounted on a lathe was just of the plate, and the lathe wasn't really in the pic enough to establish where it was. I'm wondering if it may be better to just mount it in the lid of the box I'm going to build to store the gears in. One pic I have of the box and gears has it there on the inside of the lid. Makes as much sense there as anywhere else I guess.

Bob

Bob, I would like one. I have a set of gears and an original plate, but no box. The photos I have seen of the original box show the plate attached to the lid of the box. So if I get a second one I can attach it to the lathe. The question is where? I have never seen any photos that show the plate mounted on a round dial.

Dave

I don't know where monarch mounted it originally I just mounted mine here I like it where I can see it. Bob
View attachment 159511

Great idea. Especially since the serial number tag is already mounted there on your lathe.

I received mine, and it is a nice piece of work, more finely detailed than the original. I'm not sure which one I will put on the box and which one will go on the lathe, but here is a picture that shows the original with the one from Bob below it:

D72_0920.jpg

Bob, I received the plate yesterday. Looks great. What would the cost be for a larger one as in the original size that was supplied by Monarch. My eyesight is not what it used to be.

John

I will check and see what a larger plate would cost. There would have to be enough interest to do a run of them as the setup cost would probably make the cost for just 1 or 2 around a hundred dollars. Also if You go larger it really limits where it can be mounted and still see it as it will have to be mounted at the bottom of the Lathe or possibly the electrical control box cover due to lack of any flat surfaces higher up. Rim canyon can You give me the dimensions of the larger plate. If anyone wants a larger one post it and I'll do another run. Bob

I will check and see what a larger plate would cost. There would have to be enough interest to do a run of them as the setup cost would probably make the cost for just 1 or 2 around a hundred dollars. Also if You go larger it really limits where it can be mounted and still see it as it will have to be mounted at the bottom of the Lathe or possibly the electrical control box cover due to lack of any flat surfaces higher up. Rim canyon can You give me the dimensions of the larger plate. If anyone wants a larger one post it and I'll do another run. Bob

IF .. you do ask...

... kindly inquire what a large one in 'red metal' would cost.

I don't personally know what copper alloy Monarch used for the 'brass' round-dial machines - I'd suspect red brass / Tobin /Admiralty bronze or lesser, given the substitution for Al alloy was a wartime expedient, and one would have expected ANY copper alloy to have been in scarce supply as well. Just not AS scarce as Al.

Thanks,

Bill

Maybe a bit OT but any interest in doing the same for a square dial?
I would certainly pick one up.

Maybe a separate thread, and if veterinarian is not interested in taking it on, share your source?

Paul

Maybe a bit OT but any interest in doing the same for a square dial?
I would certainly pick one up.
Maybe a separate thread, and if veterinarian is not interested in taking it on, share your source?
Paul

You may well have enough interest. I have 16 sets of Round Dial Metric Kits reserved/spoken for and now the Square Dial Kits are up to 6 people reserving/speaking for them. If you 6 get another 2 or 3 people involved, it would likely go a long way.

Back