What's new
What's new

Monarch Series 61 with Anti-Friction Tailstock

lnindustrial

Plastic
I have recently purchased a Monarch series 61 20" lathe that is rose in the sand to 28". It had an Air Gage Tracer on it that I have recently removed. It seems to be quite dirty and ugly however does not show much wear on the cross slide and virtually no wear on the bed. I have ran the head only for a few moments when I first took delivery and it sounds very quiet. It looks like it was mothballed for some time because there is a lot of dust, dirt, and the beginnings of sugar rust on it.

I have been slowly tinkering with it in between other projects and am baffled with the tailstock. It has what I call a live tail stock, which the Monarch Catalog calls an Angular Control Anti-Friction Tailstock. The issue I am having is from what I can see in the parts manual the center should pop out giving access to what looks like a #4 morris taper. I am having no luck at all removing that center so I am seeing if anyone else has any experience or tricks getting that center out, and if indeed that center is actually removable. If the center is removable and there is a taper in the spindle, is there some sort of lock that will hold it so a drill can be held stationary?
IMG_2924.jpgIMG_2918.jpgIMG_2925.jpg

The second question I have is the adjustment of the "slip clutch" for the apron rapid traverse. I have read that there is a collar with a set screw on the back side of the carriage that can be adjusted. I have stuck my had behind the carriage however have had no luck finding the collar. I assume that you loosen the set screw and adjust the collar tighter to compensate the slip in the "safety clutch" on the rapid traverse. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on adjusting this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Nick

If you don't find the slot you might have this:

monarch_61_BB_tailstock.jpg

If you don't find the slot you might have this:

monarch_61_BB_tailstock.jpg

I bet you are right, no slot to drive in a drift to knock out the center. Looks like I will be making a new spindle with a Morris taper socket or modifying this one to accept a Morris taper and making it stationary. Thank you much for the help!

This is the parts diagram for a 612, it looks like there might be a taper behind the center:

monarch_612_BB_tailstock2.jpg

If not it wouldn't be too hard to make a new quill for the tailstock.

Back