What's new
What's new

Monarch travesty

Monarch 1EE Precision Lathe 12.5" Swing 2" Between Centers, Running | eBay Spindle motor bite the dust?No problemo.Knock a hole in the top cover and do the horizontal motor drive bop.

Machine currently has a Variable speed 1/2 hp 3 Ph electric motor running it

Spare me. Please.
I have hand power-tools with more power than that. Most of us do.

It was a 10EE. Now it is a part-out else a salvage project.

For an encore, after implementing a cluster-f***k of that sort?

Poor lad seems to be as bad at his math as he is at his powertrain selection judgement.

Has either a superfluous "3" at the left end of his price, or an extra zero at the right end.

Go figure....

Bill

What is that behind the carriage hand wheel?

ten%20ee_zps6uw6vvpi.jpg

Thats a graduated distance dial handwheel. Pretty rare option, but wasn't very popular. I thought I could come up with a factory pic, but couldn't find it.

Thats a graduated distance dial handwheel. Pretty rare option, but wasn't very popular. I thought I could come up with a factory pic, but couldn't find it.

From the '44 brochure:

10ee_direct_length_reading.jpg

As to this specific machine - this wouldn't be a really hard project, just strip the crap motor stuff off the back and restore the original MG. The really hard bit would be in fixing or replacing the top cover.

But: it looks like they've messed with the cross slide (beveling the edge and adding screws above the gib?) and put *oilers* on the saddle. Weird, if the original apron system is still working.

As to this specific machine - this wouldn't be a really hard project, just strip the crap motor stuff off the back and restore the original MG. The really hard bit would be in fixing or replacing the top cover.

Maybe not-even.

It looks to be possible he may have 'sneaked in under' and attached his baby-monkey drive to the surfacing input drive pulley. Then back-driven the spindle from it.

Problem is monkey-patches of that sort tend to make a prospective buyer wonder what ELSE he concealed or FUBAR'ed.

As an honest un-f**ked-with

"MG-era 10EE, apparently complete but not known to what extent operational"

I HAVE paid around $3,000 even with no TS nor any of the HS-end covers.

OTOH, that was delivered and dropped inside my allegedly-shop-shaped-space.

:)

MY first one cost under $1200, DID have all covers, and a TS, was in running order. The rigging and go-fetch costs with rentals & all were over $1,300.

Bill

Thanks Daryl and Russ. Has anybody used one?
I wonder why they weren't popular.
It sounds buttery smooth, "planetary gears running in oil".

Also limited to the level of 'goodness' the rack, pinion, bearings it depends on for input have - or have lost.

Over time, it will be become further and further away from what reliability and repeatability an independent "no wearing parts" DRO can provide. More the victim to wear than even a Trav-a-Dial, and those were known to disappoint.

Bill

This IS the kind of thing I would buy, if it was in the EU.

I myself would put in a new ac servo of 2-4 kW (sometimes more), junk all electricals, be done in 2 days.
Very simple. Fast. Cheap.
Great results.

My current 12x lathe has 90 Nm peak torque, similar to a HAAS ST10 11 kW, from a 220V 2.5 kW servo, at 1:3.
HAAS ST10 is 102 Nm at 1200 rpm peak, iirc, and about half-3/4 mostly elsewhere.

I myself would put in a new ac servo of 2-4 kW (sometimes more), junk all electricals, be done in 2 days.

Well... ye'd have to WAIT more than two days just for new brushes to arrive.

But 'two days' of 8-12 hours is otherwise about all it takes to do an end to end restoral of DC panel, MG, exciter, final-drive motor commutators & brushes sets. Headstock 'motor switch' also has some known failure modes. Those could take longer yet if acting up, but not by much.

Not a lot to go wrong with the MG units.

BTW.. that "3 HP" motor was provided with more than its nominal nameplate voltage. Right around a 3.4 kW unit, and servo-smooth as MMT shipped it.

One of the more 'visible' of several servo conversions was followed soon after by a significant upgrade. To 5 kW or so was it?

Not much gain over 514C-16 + 507 Eurotherm/Parker-SSD drives, if even any gain atall.

A 10EE wouldn't be yer first suspect as to needing ability to index for a magazine-fed toolchanger to do the dirty.

:)

Bill

Here's another hack job:
Error | The Hobby-Machinist
That's an hydraulic motor that's been grafted onto the spindle motor shaft. (Spindle motor is still there.)

BTW, that machine is available as a project (read serious project) slash parts machine. It's located in Wyoming and has a lot of tooling with it. E-mail me if you want information.

Cal

My Sheldon R15 has such a dial with .010" graduations and I routinely work to .005" with it. I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want one on a 10EE.

Bill

They're just not very common and possibly less common than any of the standard accessories (I have to exclude things like the ball turning attachment where I've only *heard* of one). I recall seeing one and have seen pictures of a few lathes with the direct length feature. Even though it's cool and has panache I'd feel better with a Trav-a-dial or DRO - more accurate and less backlash.

The exact same motor was "hacked" into (well not INTO. more like beside) my Logan 200 when I pulled it in from our shop merger. Must be a popular upgrade.:nutter: I saved the motor though and plan on running it underneith a small rockwell bandsaw.... eventually.

A Monarch 10ee is on my dream-machine list, but in reality, a hack like that is likely what I would end up with as they are usually cheap and I'm stuborn enough to bring it back.

The exact same motor was "hacked" into (well not INTO. more like beside) my Logan 200 when I pulled it in from our shop merger. Must be a popular upgrade.:nutter: I saved the motor though and plan on running it underneith a small rockwell bandsaw.... eventually.

A Monarch 10ee is on my dream-machine list, but in reality, a hack like that is likely what I would end up with as they are usually cheap and I'm stuborn enough to bring it back.

If you want to take a trip to Wyoming, there's a "hacked" 10EE looking for a good home.

Cal

First off - there are 'usually' enough pull-out parts around from AC+VFD conversions that MOST OEM version of a 10EE - MG to WiaD to Module Drive - can be restored to factory as-built. The Monarch Sidney 3-Phase DC Drive & various Federal-contract workalikes are easiest of all. NEW 3-Phase DC Drives are still common, and near-as-dammit drop-ins.

Single-Phase DC Drives are not hard either. One just has honour the well-know physics, not side-track into the half-vast KB-Penta drives that were never built to handle the higher voltages needed, and the Beel/BICL contactor-reversed 1Q that can do, but falls short of factory performance for other reasons.

And then, of course, there are VFD and even servo-motor conversions.

End of the day, with so many choices a pair of "A" section vee belts can marry-up to, a 10EE is about as simple to supply motive power to as any cone-head lathe. No headstock full of worn/damaged gears, hydraulic or electric clutches....

Not zero-effort. Not 'free as-in beer'.

But 'easy' as such things go.

Mind - having proper motive power is not the whole story.

Spindle bearings, apron innards needing wash and brush up or more, worn ways, carriage, and TS to refit. Common to ANY worn lathe, those are.

But AT LEAST there is no 12 or 18 speed cast-iron dustbin full of spur, helical, or even herringbone gears and their selectors and clutches.

"Fear not" a 10EE as a project.

They'll also do passable work with a ration of UNrepaired wear that many other lathes have a hard time matching at ANY age or state of wear.

Bill

Back