What's new
What's new

Motor mounting plate question

bll230

Hot Rolled
I visited with Mark,

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...sd-dc-retrofit-into-1961-10ee-modular-332092/

today and saw his module type machine. I have a Wiad type machine, 1957. His machine with the 5 HP motor has the rectangular mounting plate mounted on rubber isolation mounts.

The triangular plate shown in the 1942 manual has isolation mounts.

My triangular plate solid attaches to the studs.

Do I have a homemade piece of steel mount or did the Wiad drawer machine with the 3HP small Reliance not have the iso mounts? My plate is 1/2 inch steel and has the oval cutout under the motor.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 120
I visited with Mark,

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...sd-dc-retrofit-into-1961-10ee-modular-332092/

today and saw his module type machine. I have a Wiad type machine, 1957. His machine with the 5 HP motor has the rectangular mounting plate mounted on rubber isolation mounts.

The triangular plate shown in the 1942 manual has isolation mounts.

My triangular plate solid attaches to the studs.

Do I have a homemade piece of steel mount or did the Wiad drawer machine with the 3HP small Reliance not have the iso mounts? My plate is 1/2 inch steel and has the oval cutout under the motor.

Both of my MG units - 1942 and 1944 - have rubber mounts. Probability is high that yours did as well when new.

Easiest way to get a definitive answer is to contact Monarch and ask if they have a part number and price for such mounts, your Serial-numbered WiaD.

If no such part ever existed, they will not.

All that aside, it does seem that resilient mounts were/are a 'very good idea'. So I'd just buy or make them without further head-scratching and move on to whatever ELSE needs attention.

Thanks Bill, I called Monarch and apparently my lathe did not come with rubber mounts. Some series of the 3 Hp Reliance I guess they figured did not need rubber mounts. I will look up Lord mounts for the plate.

Back