What's new
What's new

My 10EE is headed to Florida

Butch Lambert

Titanium
Reidry and his FIL picked it up yesterday evening and hopefully are close to home.They came prepared to crib it up, build a pallet under it with 4x4's and 2x6s. The pallet jack did a great job, but I wondered before they started. All tubes were removed and wrapped, all doors were wrapped in bubble wrap, tailstock removed as well as the chuck and Aloris tool post.. Took quite a bit of time, but they did a real nice job and when loaded it was heavily wrapped with plastic wrap. We did operate it before loading it.
I miss the machine already, but think it is going to a good home.

We did operate it before loading it.
I miss the machine already, but think it is going to a good home.

You must have missed it "in advance", even, considering how much sales effort "some shall be nameless" third parties had to put into convincing him that if it was good enough for Butch, I would be a good 'un, and "as represented"!

:)

Good homes for them are the best we can hope for. 10EE are mortal. I think. Well. Maybe?
They do seem to be longer-lived than ever so many of their minders, though.

You must have missed it "in advance", even, considering how much sales effort "some shall be nameless" third parties had to put into convincing him that if it was good enough for Butch, I would be a good 'un, and "as represented"!

:)

Good homes for them are the best we can hope for. 10EE are mortal. I think. Well. Maybe?
They do seem to be longer-lived than ever so many of their minders, though.

Not sure of what you are saying.

They came prepared to crib it up, build a pallet under it with 4x4's and 2x6s. The pallet jack did a great job, but I wondered before they started. All tubes were removed and wrapped, all doors were wrapped in bubble wrap, tailstock removed as well as the chuck and Aloris tool post.. Took quite a bit of time, but they did a real nice job and when loaded it was heavily wrapped with plastic wrap.

Sounds like a good show. Probably better than just about anything on TV these days. I hope there are lots of pictures?

I've been in that rodeo, but it's hard to take pictures when you're riding solo. And after the fact, I always figure out lots of things I could have done better. Especially the tricky part of wrapping a machine for weather, around the maze of straps - and in a way that won't tear apart 20 miles down the highway. And it all seems to take a lot longer than it should.

Well, Butch's 1956 has found a new home in Florida.

Unloaded, positioned and wired up. I'll write all about the purchase and trip, but right now I need some troubleshooting help.

I have verified power to the disconnect box on the rear, when I close the disconnect the cooling fan fires up. 60 seconds or so later I can press the start button and the main contactor closes, faint purple glow in the C16s at this point blue glow in tubes below.

Spindle lock is not engaged, spindle turns freely. ELSR is in RH. All levers are in Feed with clutch handles and half nuts disengaged. This lathe only has the control on the right side of the apron, no spindle switch on the headstock.

With the ELSR set to RH when I move the spindle control down I get a change in the pitch of the cooling fan, but nothing else, no activity in the headstock motor control panel, no spindle rotation. When I move the lever up there is no change to the cooling fan sound, no activity in the headstock motor control panel and no spindle movement.

With the ELSR set to LH the behavior reverses. When I move the spindle control up I get a change in the pitch of the cooling fan, but nothing else. When I move the lever down there is no activity and no change in cooling fan sound.

Thanks,
Ryan

I have pulled and checked all the fuses.

The EL1C and the 6X5 are orange at the top.
The EL1C should also have a bluish glow also this is a rectifier for the dc voltage for the motor control relays which you say are not working I suspect there is a problem with this circuit. The fan is also on that transformer for the rectifier.

Even though all tubes were removed and carefully packed for transport, it seems the EL1C may not have survived.

I pulled the EL1C out and when I hold it horizontally and roll it gently it makes a light tinging like the sound an incandescent bulb makes after it's blown. I suspect this EL1C is dead.

Short of going through the schematic, is there a short check to verify the input the EL1C before I drop in one of my spares?

Thanks,
Ryan

If it is not giving a bluish light when the fan comes on it is a bad tube. you can check for shorts from the filament to the common for a dead short but if you have no blown fuses there are no shorts. Also keep the bad tube for the base as you can put in solid state rectifiers in the base and do away with the tube. The input for that tube is also the input for the tubes for the field to the motor if your field loss relay is staying closed the inputs are good.

Worked for my old boss. Had a patent on it. For TTY network telegraph signal repeater relays.

Does NOT work for a 10EE drive. It just ain't that simple.
Won't work for the field supply but it will work for the mercury vapor rectifier as it is not grid control EL1C.

If it is not giving a bluish light when the fan comes on it is a bad tube. you can check for shorts from the filament to the common for a dead short but if you have no blown fuses there are no shorts. Also keep the bad tube for the base as you can put in solid state rectifiers in the base and do away with the tube. The input for that tube is also the input for the tubes for the field to the motor if your field loss relay is staying closed the inputs are good.

Well, my first WIAD troubleshooting adventure ends in success. Butch passed on a rather complete set of spare tubes, seems one of the EL1C spares was bad, the other good. Swapped in Spare #1, same behavior. Swapped in Spare #2 and she fired right up!

Interestingly this particular spare was accompanied by a test report. Seems it was NOS and tested before it was shipped. I'll grab a couple more spares from TubeDepot.

Thanks!

Ryan

Mercury vapor tubes go bad on the shelf some times you can bring them to life by applying power to the filaments for a day or two.

Well, Butch's 1956 has found a new home in Florida.

Unloaded, positioned and wired up. I'll write all about the purchase and trip, but right now I need some troubleshooting help.

I have verified power to the disconnect box on the rear, when I close the disconnect the cooling fan fires up. 60 seconds or so later I can press the start button and the main contactor closes, faint purple glow in the C16s at this point blue glow in tubes below.

Spindle lock is not engaged, spindle turns freely. ELSR is in RH. All levers are in Feed with clutch handles and half nuts disengaged. This lathe only has the control on the right side of the apron, no spindle switch on the headstock.

With the ELSR set to RH when I move the spindle control down I get a change in the pitch of the cooling fan, but nothing else, no activity in the headstock motor control panel, no spindle rotation. When I move the lever up there is no change to the cooling fan sound, no activity in the headstock motor control panel and no spindle movement.

With the ELSR set to LH the behavior reverses. When I move the spindle control up I get a change in the pitch of the cooling fan, but nothing else. When I move the lever down there is no activity and no change in cooling fan sound.

Thanks,
Ryan

So what I first thought was a pitch change in the coolant fan was actually a rattling in a contactor on the back of the assembly in the WIAD drawer, there is a relay and a contactor and the coil in the contactor is loose and rattles slightly.

Over time I'll be replacing every inch of wire and generally reconditioning the entire electrical works; I want to do it in slow stages so as to keep the machine generally up and available.

Ryan

Back