What's new
What's new

My wife thinks I have a problem...

Boxelder

Aluminum
Help me evaluate these lathes. Also, my wife thinks I have a problem...

...and she might be right! But she's an extremely understanding woman who understands that my little hobby is much less expensive than owning a small airplane - a common addiction among my peers.

I just picked up a couple of Monarchs at auction from NASA/Redstone Arsenal, a 10EE serial number 38044 and a 60/61 (not quite sue how to tell them apart) serial number 36366.

Already I have noticed the broken and repaired tailstock hand wheel on the 10EE, as well as the brazed tailstock locking handle. Obviously the tailstock has performed a gravity check at some point. On the 60/61 I noticed the brazed repair on the toolpost mount, and the tailstock wheel speed handle is hanging from the collet rack and simply needs to be reattached.

Realizing you guys simply live to play this game (I know I do!), you can now help a brother out by nitpicking to death these two machines. But please, I see the rust and understand have a 5-gallon bucket of Evapo-Rust standing by. No need to flog that entirely dead horse.

So, gents: What do I have here? What's missing? On every 60/61 I've seen there's a handle below the speed settings placard, which seems to be missing on this machine. This is the only 60/61 I've found which has the handle on the top of the headstock. I'm assuming it's a brake?

And I also would appreciate input and advice if there's anything I need to do to make these machines safer to move home on a trailer. I'm already planning on removing the work light from the 10EE and the collet rack from the 60/61 before loading.

Thanks very much in advance, and have fun storming the castle!

Dropbox - PM share NASA Monarchs

Last edited:
It looks like you went after quality iron, condition looks pretty typical for a Gov. sale.
If it were me I'd de-rust and clean as well as possible without abrasives, oil all the screws and nuts, change all gear case oils and power them up. If they run as they should then go from there, take some cuts and see how they perform.
Dan

The thread title needs to be descriptive of the content of the post. Something like "help me evaluate these lathes".

Uh oh.

Big mistake.

Those lathes???

Parts are outrageous.
They are famous for leaking oil. I mean LEAK!
Often (10EE anyway) electrical headaches.

And to top all, those thorns-in-your side you just bought happen to be the two GREATEST lathes ever made.

Why do you suppose that handle below the spindle speed placard is missing? It doesn't appear to be broken off - although a closer inspection would have quickly determined that. Were some of them made without them?

Edit - found one on YouTube which also is missing that handle. Will have to order the manual to figure out what's the dealie-o. Monarch 13x3 Series 6 - YouTube

Do you have a list of available parts, should they become necessary?

Thanks guys, this has been fun. I hope it was for you all too.

Last edited:
Did I say something inappropriate?

Database issue. Indexing, usefullness, find-ability by subject. Monarch Forum isn't about psychology or marital advise. Those come by themselves as you progress with the addiction.

:)

Titles should be searchable and relate to content of the thread.

"10EE and 60/61 something or other>" Or a separate thread on each perhaps even better. We confuse easily. It's another byproduct.

Why do you suppose that handle below the spindle speed placard is missing? It doesn't appear to be broken off - although a closer inspection would have quickly determined that. Were some of them made without them?

Edit - found one on YouTube which also is missing that handle. Will have to order the manual to figure out what's the dealie-o. Monarch 13x3 Series 6 - YouTube

Do you have a list of available parts, should they become necessary?

Thanks guys, this has been fun. I hope it was for you all too.

--------- Deleted --------------

EDIT! I was wrong (just erased what I had written above) at least according to pics I've searched.

I do know that they don't always have a knob there, but originally thought the knob only came on earlier partially-open-gearbox-selector models. But I'm seeing the knobs included on both. My 60, and the extra I stripped, both didn't come with that knob.

Are you saying that NASA was building parts for the shuttle with 64 year old machine with a rocker tool post? Running the compound into the chuck etc no wonder the Challenger crashed. Or does NASA ave a blacksmith division?
Bob

Are you saying that NASA was building parts for the shuttle with 64 year old machine with a rocker tool post? Running the compound into the chuck etc no wonder the Challenger crashed. Or does NASA ave a blacksmith division?
Bob

WHO said so?

I've spent some time inside NASA Greenbelt on stuff my Day Job made. Meah.. '69-70 and a bit. Dad was there when it was still NACA, '31-'36.

I could believe NASA themselves doesn't officially even own a screwdriver. Staff do, but not much more than that.

Everything was about paper and contracts. And - usually - lowest-bidder.

Even when the Government owned the real-estate and buildings, they were full of contractors more than NASA staff - rocket assembly of parts from a hundred suppliers included.

NASA sets goals then administer towards them, mostly.

Contractors build and maintain, even do the R&D, design, and Engineering.

So YOU'RE the one who got them, lucky duck. I had to keep my bidding low since I'm so far away. Congrats and keep us posted on your progress, they should be nice machines once cleaned up!

I thought I was bidding against scrappers, especially on the 60... A few more pictures have been added, but the motor shots are for Monarchist and are from SN 6642.

Back